Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!! going back to work.

Default Help!! going back to work.

I don't know how i am going to do this. I breastfeed my 5 month old alot. He will NOT take a bottle. I have no clue what to do. I start work tomorrow.

Default Re: Help!! going back to work.

My SIL went back to work when her first was about that age. My niece wouldn't take a bottle for most of the first week, but eventually she started taking one and did fine. (To be honest, every time SIL tells that story the amount of weight my niece lost gets bigger. ) Are you trying to give the bottle? A lot of babies won't take bottles from mom.

My DS1 didn't really want to take a bottle the first week or so as well, but he wasn't particularly unhappy. They tried different nipples until they found one that worked for him.

Babies at daycare will sometimes also reverse cycle--eat less during the day and make up for it when they are home with you.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

LOL mine could stand to loose a few pounds. He is 5 months and weighes 23 lbs 3oz. Yes i do try to give him the bottle but gma and dad do too. He just chews on the nipple. I am just afraid he is going to fuss the whole time i am at work if he doesn't get my milk and get to suck on anything. He doesn't like pacifiers either. Any advice on what else to do if he doesn't eat while i am at work?

He is a chunk--even bigger than mine, who is no shrimp.

What types of bottles have you tried? I know a lot of mommas here like the breastflow, the Advent or the Platex drop-ins. DS1 finally liked the NUK nipples. DS1 will pretty much use anything, but he is the mellowest of all three of mine.

The only advice I can give is to keep trying different bottles. Perhaps with a new person he will be more willing to take a bottle.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

My daughter wouldn't take a bottle either. I had to experiment with a few different ones before I found one that she liked...breastflow maybe????
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

I have the breastflow by dr brown? He doesn't seem to like them. I wish i could take a mold of mine and turn it into a bottle nipple. I have tried all sorts of bottles and he just chews on them. He will however eat off a spoon but he still has that tounge thrusting still so he ends up wearing his food instead of eatting it.

here is a good link. might be position. a lot of times, DD won't take a bottle when DCP isn't holding her upright enough.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong