Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long do I wake to nurse before work?

Default How long do I wake to nurse before work?

I am currently nursing and pumping for 5 month old twins. I wake them up at 6am M-F to nurse them before leaving for work. On weekends I feed them when they wake up (older one can sleep until after 8am and I have to wake her because I am so full, younger one varies waking from 5am-8am).
    Should I continue to wake them and nurse them? Or should I let them sleep and pump instead? I do not produce as much with a pump but I don't want to cause them to wake at 6am habit.
    Thanks!

Default Re: How long do I wake to nurse before w

do they stay home when you go to work or do you drive them to a caregiver? who cares for them? do they nurse often? i lean toward nursing if they take bottles.

i drive my son to daycare so i make sure we nurse before we leave, then i pump in the car right after.

occasionally i leave very early and dh takes him, on those days i dont wake him to nurse but my breast never empty as well so i was just thinking yesterday (i went in early) that i should wake him.

its debatable. do they go back to sleep after you nurse? maybe just try to nurse them then pump in the car. thats my plan

If you don't wake them to nurse them, you might have to add a pump session, so as much as I believe you shouldn't wake sleeping babies, I make an exception when it requires me to pump more! So I say keep waking them. Their schedule is likely to change over the next seven months so you can continue to play it by ear.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I nurse them and they go back to sleep, sometimes until 11am! Guess that qualifies as their morning nap
    Daddy is home with all 3 kids and they get bottles while I am at work.
    I do agree that pumping doesn't empty my breast as much but I don't want to start the habit of waking early. I guess since they are able to go back to sleep I will continue to do it. Thanks!

I used to wake my dd up at 530 to nurse...she ALWAYS went back to sleep. I'd probably keep nursing instead of pumping but thats because I hate pumping.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*toddlerandtwins View Post
    I don't want to start the habit of waking early. I guess since they are able to go back to sleep I will continue to do it. Thanks!
    You're lucky they sleep so well! But yes, I "dream feed" my baby in the early hours of the morning, and neither of us properly gets up. I would try to keep these sessions as snuggly and snoozy as possible.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Snuggly sounds great but it's awfully hard because I always simultaneously nurse them. I wake one, change her, put her on the bed, then wake the other, change her, and climb into bed with my pillow and hook them on. i do keep the room dark and don't talk or watch tv.
    And yes - lucky they sleep. I would not be sane if they woke overnight. I have been back to work since 12 weeks and they started STTN at 10 weeks (like they knew), we are very lucky.