Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething or Growth Spurt??

Default Teething or Growth Spurt??

My 4 mo old son was up 6 times last night!! He usually sleeps 12-13 hours at night with 1-2 feedings, but he wanted 6 last night! So frustrating! I don't expect this to be a habit, or I hope not, but it made me wonder if he could be starting to get teeth. Usually when he wakes up at night, he just fusses and moves around and that's what wakes me, but last night he was actually crying when he woke up. He also has been biting on everything, toys, our fingers, his fingers, etc, and drooling more. I felt around to see if I could feel any teeth, but I didn't feel anything. Is it too early to start getting teeth or was he just having a hungry night?? I should also add that he doesn't at all seem more fussy during the day. Just curious! Thanks!

Default Re: Teething or Growth Spurt??

It could be definitely be teething, a growth spurt, a bug coming on, or any number of things! Contrary to what we hope, babies often do become more, rather than less, restless as they get older. Joe slept better before four months than after. Sorry! It is really normal - there's just a ton going on at that age - they're learning new skills, they're growing, they're learning that mama is separate from them (which causes separation anxiety), they're getting teeth. Just a lot going on.

Joe got his first teeth at five months, so it's definitely not too early for that. But then he got like seven more teeth in quick succession, so we didn't get much of a break.

I hope it gets better soon!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks! I hope it gets better too! Last night was not better. He was up just as often, 5 or 6 times. Its just so weird, up as many times as a newborn! Oh well, we'll make it through!

If he seems unhappy, I might try tylenol - if it's teething, you'll see improvement. If it's not, well, you know you're dealing with something else.

Joe woke up about 10-12 times a night for like, um, a year, so 5-6 times would have been really nice during that time! Just trying to keep things in perspective. That's really not that bad.

ETA: I highly recommend that YOU go to bed nice and early tonight, and hopefully if nothing else, you'll feel less exhausted in the morning. That's how I survived my bad sleeper.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks! Yes, another bad night, but I really think it's just a growth spurt because he doesn't seem unhappy at all. So we'll just hang in there!