Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's the very best pump to buy?

Default What's the very best pump to buy?

I'm sure this has been asked in these forums, but I'm new to the website and wondered if some folks can tell me what the best pump to buy is? there are just too many choices out there and they cost a lot of money for me to buy something that is no good. I do want a good one...because after 3 months off when I return to work, I'd like to continue pumping....

Default Re: What's the very best pump to buy?

so pumping at work everyday? i have a medela pump in style advanced that works great, they also have a pump called Freestyle, or the Lansinoh double electric gets great reviews.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I pump everyday at work and I use the Medela Pump in Style Advanced. It works great and is extremely portable. It is expensive but definitely worth it if you are going to be pumping a lot.
    July 27 2011

I have the Medela Freestyle. I love that its small and transportable. I have used it even to pump while driving. It is more expensive then the PISA but its more transportable. Depends on your lifestyle on which one to get. The added flexibility was worth the money to me so when I am out at events (recently I was a bridesmaid), I can just pump in the car and not have to chase down a private space with an outlet.

My work provides a Symphony which has been awesome. Have you considered renting a Symphony and just leaving it at work M-F? Once again, depends on your situation. Either way, a pump (bought or rented) is still cheaper than formula.

I have a lansinoh double electric that I really like. Well I didn't like it, but then I started using a lactina at work and found I liked the lansinoh much better! I use the lansinoh at home and the lactina at work (my work provides many pumps)

I too use a PISA. I had the old PIS with my first two and this one is definitely better. One nice thing is that it comes with a battery pack so I could use it in the car (which I have done rarely, but it was necessary for those times) which did not come with the old one.

The thing with pumps is that you really do get what you pay for. One thing to note is that a recent IRS rule change makes pumping supplies eligible medical expenses, which means they are deductible from your taxes (if you have enough) and you can use a flexible spending account to buy them. Some insurance companies will reimburse you as well; mine did not.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I had an Ameda Purely Yours that I really liked.

The thought of renting a hospital grade pump and leaving it at work is an excellent one. If you do a long term rental, the cost is very reasonable. But if you wish to keep one at home, you have many to choose from. You want to select what is called a professional grade pump, which means you are looking at the following:

Medela: PISA, Freestyle. You might be able to get away with a Swing if you have enough time to pump, as it's a single sided pump, or if you need to switch back and forth to maximize milk production.
    Lansinoh/Ameda: these are basically the same pump in different colors. Something I do like about these pumps is that the suction and speed can be adjusted separately. I've found I can get more milk out without needing to do compressions quite as much. While not labeled as such, these are closed systems in function. Medelas are not, unless you get a hospital grade pump. I do like too that the horn assembly is one piece, which makes it harder to accidentally knock the bottles off! But they do not connect to all bottles, and I fill the little 4 oz bottles it came with in a hot minute.
    Hygiea: very much like a Lansinoh, and I know several mothers with this pump who like it. I thought about buying one of these myself. This is an FDA approved closed system, so you can legally and safely pass this pump on to a friend when you are done with it (unless you wear it out!).

Bailey, Avent, Philips, and Simplisse all also have double-electrics, but I haven't tried those. I had an Avent manual pump, and I liked that thing a lot; it lasted 5 years.

From what I see with many reviews of the lesser-known brands, it's frustration with all the parts, but if you keep your stuff in a cooler for the day, you don't have to take it all apart every time you pump so you might only wash and assemble it once a day. So don't let that dissuade you if you decide you want a Lansinoh or Simplisse.

I would stay away from the pumps sold by First Years, Playtex etc, that are sold at X-mart. Those are not very good pumps, but you can find the Lansinoh and Medela pumps at the mass market stores too, which is probably why it's so confusing. These pumps are meant for the ocassional pumping, not a mom who is replacing a baby 3-5 times a day. They would work better for a mom who might need to leave baby just once a week (and honestly, I had one of these given to me as a gift, and it was horrible. Made me sore, and I had a difficult time pumping anything -- yet I could get ounces out with an Avent Isis!).

http://www.breastpumpsdirect.com/bre...iews_a/183.htm is a place to start. Does not list the PISA or Freestyle or other Medela pumps. Medela has its own chart at its website.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I've been really happy with my Ameda Purely Yours. It takes batteries and has a car plug-in available as well as the regular outlet plug. I've been able to use it with the 2 oz. Medela bottles, the 4 oz. Ameda bottles it came with, and the 5 oz. Evenflo bottles.

I just ordered a stash of extra parts from amedababy.com, so I've got spares if I need then (and I have needed them!).

I also used a Medela Lactina for a while, and I like that the Ameda pump doesn't have as many parts to take apart and wash.

If I had the money to spend I'd get a PISA. . . but instead I ended up with the Ameda Purely Yours as well and I've gotta say it did me really well. I'd use it again in a heartbeat.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.