Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Extended BFing - work full-time - help

Default Extended BFing - work full-time - help

I want to nurse DS until he's at least 18 months to 24 months. But I'm a full-time working mom. My DH is a stay at home dad. And I don't see my son in the mornings before I leave for work.

I do not want to wake DS up in the mornings simply to nurse him since we are loving that he is now STTN 11-13 hours with no parent interventions (it's been heavenly for our sleep since we had a terrible time when he was younger (up ever 20 minutes -1 hour)).

I've been pumping at work 2-3 times and my supply has tanked a lot the last few months. Even with pumping for 40+ minutes at a time, taking fenugreek, more milk plus, blessed thistle, eating oatmeal every day, and drinking only water. I pump as soon as I get to work, around 8:15 am. I pump only about 7-9 ounces each day from four pumping sessions, and DS drinks a total of about 10-11 ounces in two bottles while I'm at work.

I want to be an extended BFer, but also now that my son is almost a year old (next week), technically according to the law, my pumping time at work is coming to an end. Although I am very blessed and could probably pump longer due to being able to work on a laptop in an extra office while pumping. But I don't want to push the envelope either and make others give me the side eye. :-)

The only time during M-F that I can nurse DS is in the evening around 5:15 pm when I get home from work, and then just before bed. But sometimes he barely nurses for either. Or he'll nurse for one, but not want to nurse the other (he's SO distractable, even in a dark room). But he's probably not hungry since I nurse hime, we eat dinner, play a bit, and then do bedtime. So nursing twice within a two hour period, plus eating dinner in that time period is a lot for a 1 year old in my opinion.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to transition into this next phase of wanting to continue nursing him, but also not pumping at work anymore.

Can I not pump at work at all and then nurse my son in the evenings M-F, and then during the weekend whenever he/me wants? Will my supply stay up?

Or do I need to pump in the mornings before work in order to keep my supply up for the weekends when I do want to nurse him in the mornings?

Default Re: Extended BFing - work full-time - he

I worked FT and my DD nursed til she was 3. You can do it. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. We nursed on demand from the time I got home from work. She never really STTN though. I stopped pumping @ work when she was 14 months. If your son is still wanting to nurse in the evenings/weekend, just go by what he wants to do. You will make enough milk.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    I worked FT and my DD nursed til she was 3. You can do it. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. We nursed on demand from the time I got home from work. She never really STTN though. I stopped pumping @ work when she was 14 months. If your son is still wanting to nurse in the evenings/weekend, just go by what he wants to do. You will make enough milk.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

So I won't need to pump in the mornings M-F before work (or even at work) to help my supply (since I will want to nurse on demand on the weekends)?

I worked (and still work lol) full time, and my son's dad stayed home with him. I pumped until he was about 10 months old, but nursed until he was 21 months old, when he self-weaned. You can do it!

DS1 I stopped pumping at about 16 mo. DS2 I stopped pumping at 13 mo.

DS1 weaned at about 2.5 yo when I was pg. DS is still going strong at 25 mo.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

When I stopped pumping @ work I never pumped again. There will be milk when he needs it. I didn't lose mine until my pregnancy..DD was 2.5y
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Thanks for the encouragement ladies.