Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply and long night breaks

Default Supply and long night breaks

Can I keep (maybe for months) exclusively breastfeeding my DS (11m/7m corrected, 8,2kg) with a nightbreak of up to 10 hours? Is there anyone who did this/ is doing it? I am afraid, my overall milk supply will cease and that DS is not getting enough milk during the day, when he is not nursing and I stop pumping at nights. Our situation is quite complicated, I hope the basic question is not.

Some of the situation: We have finally found medical support in weaning our son off the ng tube. He can breastfeed since long and was almost (we now in retrospective know) tube weaned to breastfeeding since basically his corrected date of birth. So now we are almost there and I am weaning off the pump. He always was tube fed at nights, so he needn't awake. Now he gets tube fed only once a day anymore at 9/10pm (while he is sleeping) and we now found, that he seems to be happy sleeping like this until around 6/8am. He usually goes to bed around 7/8pm and then nurses for the last time. Occasionally he wakes up when we change diapers around 3am, but he quickly falls asleep than and rarely nurses.

Of course we offer him mashed and solid food as well only he refuses this and we absolutely do not want to force him. We feel he may eventually get there in his own pace, only this means that I have to remain able to offer him enough milk for maybe months (when I was pumping, I could get 60ml per hour around the clock, so in theory there is enough milk for quite some time to come).

Default Re: Supply and long night breaks

Very probably, if you are nursing during the day. I had a couple babies who nightweaned but went on to nurse during the day for a while after that (until I lost my supply due to pregnancy). You may wake up super full, and that would be an excellent time to try to get your baby to really nurse. If you are not nursing during the day, unrestricted, I'd be more concerned. Heck, I don't pump at night, just all day long, and I seem to have enough
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks a lot

To give you some update: The nightbreaks differ a lot, sometimes DS drinks every two hours, more often we have breaks of six hours, sometimes up to eight hours and it still kind of works.

My son is 8 months and started taking big night breaks around a month ago. My supply has decreased but hasn't tanked. I think its more due to solids than the longer stretches at night. I pump so I know for sure I still have a decent supply. I used to pump about 14-17 oz in 3-4 sessions. Now its 7-10 oz in 3 sessions. He also takes less milk at day care, though. He nurses about every 2-3 hours when he is with me and awake. I don't know if I could speak for a premie baby, if there are other health concerns to consider, but that is just my situation. My son looks similar in weight to yours, as well, he is about 17lbs.