Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is he ready?

Default Is he ready?

My 4-month-old ds is constantly reaching for my food, opening his mouth, watching the food go from fork to mouth with an eager expression. He sits very well with support (rolls over and is very strong). He also reaches far forward for things in front of him, then transferring to his tummy. I know it's early but could he be ready to try solids? I know he doesn't need them, but he seems so interested! And if I do introduce them, what and how often should I give him? Thank you!!!

Default Re: Is he ready?

If he is otherwise satisfied, I'd hang on until he is at least 6 months of age - his digestive system is still quite immature at the moment and the risk of allergic reactions is higher before 6 months.

It's hard though, isn't it, to sit and eat your dinner with your baby watching you and looking as if he's missing out on something ... it certainly makes you feel guilty.

When you do start him on solids, baby rice is a good first food because you can mix it with your milk and it will taste familiar to him. One of mine just didn't like it, though, and he started with sweet potato - a firm favourite with all four of mine!

Good luck.

My son wants our food, too! I feel so bad, but I guess his time will come. See, mine eats baby food, but he wants our sandwhiches, pretzels, you name it! I thought if he ate baby food while we ate, he would be okay, but I swear he knows its not the same! I pretend to eat his food and then he seems to want it- but not for long! My DR. told me the baby food is just to learn and break up the day, that the calories should come from bmilk. I can't wait until I can give him some table food so I won't feel so bad!
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

Try offering him a shiny spoon at the table. I remember my dd showing interest in what we were eating. Turned out the silverware satisfied her interest until she was truly ready for solid food. At this age they will also mimic chewing motions making it even more confusing to know when they are ready. It is not very common for a baby to be ready to start solids at 4 months. The best way to tell is when baby is closer to 6 months (or older) and is nursing more frequently and the cause is not teething or illness, then they are probably ready to start solids if the other signs are in place as well. The tongue-thrust relfex should be gone and baby should also be able to sit unsupported. Hope this helps! Pretty shiny silverware usually works everytime! They're just curious about all the things on the table and are very 'grabby' at that age, too.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids