Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me . . .

Default Please tell me . . .

That someday my DS will sleep through the night. He did better at sleeping when he was younger. He wakes up 2-5 times a night. I amhearing from all sides that he doesn't need to eat when he wakes up, that I should just rock him back to sleep or let him cryhimself to sleep and he will sleep through the night after 3 nights. Well I just tried to rock him back to sleep and he would fall asleep and then wake up again, so I figure if he weren't hungry he wouldn't wake up again. I want to do what is best for my son, but I am getting so exhausted and it seems like his sleep habits are getting worse, not better. The only person I know who didn't do the cry it ouyt thing still has her son sleeping with her and he is 8!!! DS doesn't sleep with me. Co-sleeping doesn't work for us, I have tried, he wakes me up with his constant movement and I have ti wrestle him to eat with me lying down. He does significantly better if I get up and feed him. So please tell me what I can do without co-sleeping to help us get to the point where there is at lest 5-6 hours of uninterrupted sleep so I can be sane again. Please tell me there is hope without cring it out or o-sleeping.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Default Re: Please tell me . . .

Mama, I am right there with you. My kid is waking up every 2 hours and she's almost 17 months old. She's teething- I can see the big lump of her 1 year molar pushing through her gums. It's awful. But I promise you that my kid will eventually sleep through, and so will yours. It's rare for an 8 year-old to still need to sleep with mama, and breastfeeding isn't going to make that happen. I mean, I nursed my older kid until age 3 and she was sleeping through alone in her own bed by age 2.

When a mama is having sleep issues, I like to recommend Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution". It's gentle, and it's a good starting place, and even if the tips in the book don't work at least you feel like you are doing something about the situation.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I will have to check out that book. I put DS in a warm sleeper tonight, hoping that this would help. He did sleep until 5, which was 4 hours from the time I went to sleep, which was AWESOME! What was not awesome was that he decided that this was time to wake up for the day. So maybe part of his issue is that he is slightly cold at night. It is really warm when he goes to sleep, but slightly chilly by the time he wakes up and putting a blanket on him (lightweight but warm) doesn't work because he moves all around.
    Now if only I could get him to sleep for that long and still think that around 6 or 7 is morning. It would be heaven if he woke up at his regular 11 or 11:30 and then not again until 6 or 7, but that is wishful thinking.
    Last edited by @llli*firsttime; September 24th, 2011 at 08:09 AM.

DS since 1/30/11

Is he teething? MY DD's sleep got all outta whack around 8 months due to teething. Maybe some tylenol/motrin, teething medicine?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

DD1 slept through the night from 3 months to almost 6 months. Then she didn't sleep through again until 16 months.
    DD2 has never slept through the night and she's 13.5 months.

It will be hard, but let go of the clock. Knowing the time, staring at it, counting the minutes, how many times you've been up, etc. is exhausting. Let yourself let go and you'll find that it will free you. Once you accept that this is going to happen because this is what your baby needs, you'll find that you'll wake, nurse and go back to sleep so much easier. Really.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I feel your pain, mamma. My 9 month old was sleeping through the night at 4 months and now wakes 4-5 times to nurse at night. We cosleep, so even if you DID cosleep that might not necessarily make the night waking better. For me it just means I don't have to fully wake to feed her so I get more rest than if I had to get up. Have you tried changing the nighttime routine a little? Do you nurse to sleep in the beginning of the night? Maybe trying to slowly transition to baby nursing and then pulling him off before he's fully asleep? SO when he awakes in the night he doesn't HAVE to nurse every time - only when he's actually hungry? These are some of the suggestions from the No Cry Sleep Solution http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/boo...sbn=0071381392 I'm about to buy the book myself to see if we can get down to 1-2 times a night instead of 4-5...

I got Pantley's book from the library and am working on using her yechniques. Ny first measured day, he woke up 8 times. I hope to decrease that to at least only 1-2 times. That would be heavenly. I had him doing wellat having other ways to go to sleep and then he gpt sick and I comfort nursed, which made it worse I think.

DS since 1/30/11

Do you have a husband/partner around? Could he maybe try putting your child to bed at night? My husband does the night time duty, our routine is bath, get energy out on towel on the floor, I nurse in dark bedroom in bed, hubby then takes over and I leave the room. On a good night my husband can have baby asleep in about 10 minutes, sometimes it takes 30-45 minutes. He rocks him, walks him around, lays him in his bed semi awake. Our baby is about 5.5 months old and he has been doing this since about 4 weeks, so he has definitely gotten a routine down. I actually have trouble putting him to sleep at night when my husband isn't home.

I am with you on the co-sleeping thing, it also doesn't work for us. Sometimes my son behaves but other times he is scratching my face, pulling my breast out of his mouth while clamping down on it, and kicking me in the bladder. I do feed him side-lying in the bed most of the time though*. He wakes anywhere from 1 to 3 times per night. When he is wrestling I just hold his arms down and trap his feet between my legs (is that mean??) and usually he calms down after about 5 minutes.

I tried the pantley stuff for a little while but I couldn't keep up with the logs, I am too busy unfortunately (full time student). But I also think I don't have as dire a case as some (you) do. GL!!

*ETA: I don't co-sleep, but I just mean that my husband brings him from his crib to the bed when he wakes so I can feed him side-lying, and snooze. I usually fall asleep and wake up an hour later and put baby back in his crib.
    Last edited by @llli*mskalinin; September 27th, 2011 at 10:52 AM.

I am not sure if this is because I started pulling DS off the breast before he was completely asleep the night before, but last night DS would come off the breast still awake, with his eyes open, then he would cuddle up next to me and start to close his eyes. Last night was the first night he has EVER done that. I put him to bed and had to wake up once or twice after 15 minutes to re-settle him, but he didn't fall asleep once on the breast last night. He woke up probably the same amount of time, but it was every three hours (from wake up to wake up) and then a 5-10 minute feed and wake up once or twice to be resettled. That is much better than every hour or two. I am hopeful that this will help. I am determined to keep this up until I can get him down to 1 or 2 times a night of waking up.
    I only do the logs every 10 days, at least I though tthat was the instructions. That seems much more doable to me.
    Also, can babies my son's age go for 6-7 hours without eating at night? I don't want to train him to not eat if he is actually hungry, but eventually I want to try to get him to go back to sleep (at least some of the times) without my nursing him so that I can train him to realize that he doesn't even really need to nurse that often. He went 6 hours when he was 2-3 months without eating so it seems plausible that he should be able to do that now.
    I think that he may be having trouble sleeping also because he keeps sitting up in bed when he is half asleep. I go in to get him sometimes and his eyes are closed, he is obviously asleep, and he is sitting up in bed. But he just starting doing that a few days ago.

DS since 1/30/11

firsttime, my 6 month old daughter STTN at about 4.5 months. It was amazing. Then, we went on vacation. Now, she's up every two hours and will pretty much only nurse back to sleep. We also don't co-sleep, but I immediately respond to any sounds (as with most moms, I'm pretty much on her sleep cycle, so I usually wake up before she does) Sometimes it is stressful, but I find the thing that works the best for me is just positive thinking and staying focused on MY family. (It should be noted that before baby, I was not much of a positive person! I was (and typically am) super anxious and quick to think I did something wrong, but I realized this mindset wasn't going to work with my new SAHM job!) In the NCSS by Pantley, she does a good job talking about this. Don't compare yourself to the other moms whose babies sleep through the night (afterall, I'm sure your baby is much cuter, and, did you know that frequent wakings are a sign of gifted children??) And, when I'm really desperate at 2 am, I just think about when she's a teenager, and I'm lying awake at night waiting for her to come home from a date, and I know that I'll be wishing for these late-night feeding sessions instead!!
    Good luck!!
    Mother to Quenby Anne, born 29 March 2011, 5 lbs. 9 oz, but doubled birth weight in 9 weeks!

Interested in maternal attachment and research about infant development? Check out my blog! www.asecurebase.blogspot.com