Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Advice regarding feeding part time

Default Need Advice regarding feeding part time

Hi,
    My daughter is 11 months old and I breastfed her exclusively till now but I want to start the weaning process because it is getting harder to pump at work. I still want to nurse atleast 2 or 3 times when she is at home and then give formula the rest of the feeds. And plus she has solids 2-3 times. So in that case if I nurse only twice a day and maybe pump one more time during the day will my milk supply go down? i.e Will I dry up and not have milk for her morning and night nursings? Some advice would really be appreciated.

Default Re: Need Advice regarding feeding part t

As long as you continue to nurse, you will continue to have milk (unless you get pregnant or have some physical condition that affects supply). However, milk is produced on a supply = demand basis, so less demand will result in lower sully. You won't dry up, but you will produce less milk overall.

It's great that you're planning on nursing part-time after you wean from the pump! Nursing a toddler is awesome for health and nutritional reasons, and once you don't have to worry about being your baby's sole provider, you can just nurse as much or little as you want, enjoying lots of the benefits and few of the detriments of breastfeeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*varunmadhu View Post
    Hi,
    My daughter is 11 months old and I breastfed her exclusively till now but I want to start the weaning process because it is getting harder to pump at work. I still want to nurse atleast 2 or 3 times when she is at home and then give formula the rest of the feeds. And plus she has solids 2-3 times. So in that case if I nurse only twice a day and maybe pump one more time during the day will my milk supply go down? i.e Will I dry up and not have milk for her morning and night nursings? Some advice would really be appreciated.
    When DS was about 10 months old I pretty much stopped pumping while I was working and sent him with formula. We were able to continue nursing when we were together until he was three years old. Your baby is old enough now that your supply should adjust to meet your baby's demands even if you are apart for longer periods of time.

Do you want to consider sticking it out for 4 weeks until baby is one and then start weaning from the pump. That way you could skip formula entirely and see how they are with cows milk and other dairy.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language