Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Pump

Default Can't Pump

This is my second week back at work, and I am only able to pump 2.5 oz or less on each side. I am drinking Mother's Milk Tea and taking Motherlove More Milk Plus Special Blend. However, the tricky part is, once I pump 1-2 oz from each side my Medela won't get anymore milk out, but afterwards my LO can eat for 5-10 minutes on each side. I don't have my 9 week LO at work with me, so how can I get that extra milk out during the day. I have tried compressions, squeezing my breast until they are almost as fat as pancakes.

I read about women pumping 6-8 oz in once session. What's wrong with me????

Default Re: Can't Pump

Nothing is wrong with you. 2.5 oz per session is pretty normal yield, if you're pumping every couple of hours. 3 would be a bit better, and a better pump or a different size of breast shields might help you get there. It's very normal for a baby to be able to get more milk out than a pump, since babies are way more efficient at removing milk than even the best pump. What isn't normal- or rather, what isn't common- is for women to get 6-8 oz when pumping. Moms who do that are making too much milk, and beieve it or not, oversupply is a problem!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

2.5 oz on each side? Awesome ! Total ? That's still normal. As always make sure all your parts are in working order, change the valves and membranes, etc. How many times are you pumping per day and how much are you sending to daycare?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Well the lactation consultant told me that i should pump every two hours instead of every 3 hours. I pumped at 6 am, 8:30 am, and 11:30 am. I only have 6 oz total. I'm so sad. Last week I was pumping about 4 oz or so per session. But then again I was pumping every 3 hours last week. I am really sad and discouraged. My son drinks about 16 oz a day in daycare. I'm hoping to pump 10 oz by 6pm ( that's when my DS leaves daycare).

have you checked the parts, like membranes? Also up your water intake that helps me a lot. Can you give me the full schedule of times for pumping/nursing and daycare, maybe we can trouble shoot with you.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I only pump 2.5-3 oz total at each session. I am away for 12 hours/4 feedings and my little one takes 14 oz total. So, I pump on my off days to make up the difference. I also freaked out at first with my pumping output but we just have to add in more pumping sessions to make up the difference. Some people do evening pumping sessions or if the baby is sleeping through the night, they wake up in the middle of the night and pump. Good luck.

I am away from my DS 12 hours a day. Today I pumped at 6:30 pm (2 oz), 8:30 am (2 oz), 11:30 (2 oz), and 1:30 (2 oz). I am going to pump again at 3:30pm and 5:30pm. Then I will pick my DS up. I wouldn't normally pump at work, but today I need to pump so I can have 16 oz for tomorrow.

I have been sipping on Mother's Milk Tea and water since 9 am today.

My DS takes 14-16 oz a day at 2.5 to 3 oz every two hours.

Last week I pumped 3 times a day at work and I came home with 12-14 oz a day. I was pumping 3-4.5 oz a session.

My LO does not sleep throught night. I wake up at 4:30 and feed my DS once before I take him to daycare.

Mama, you do have good output but I understand your concern. If your pump isn't emptying your breast it's sometimes just the pump itself. Some women respond to different pumps differently so trust me when I say it's not that you don't have a good one. Have you tried renting one from the hospital just to see if it feels better for you? Do you pump with a single or double-electric? You can do better with double-electric than with single. Also try to not get stressed out while you're pumping or it can inhibit your flow - listen to recordings of your baby cooing, read a book, do breathing exercises - anything to relax yourself while you're pumping. And also remember: your little one is always more efficient at removing milk from your breast than the pump, so it's perfectly normal if your LO can still nurse when you've finished pumping. Hang in there Mama! You're doing great!
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

I have the Medela In Style pump. It's an electric double pump. Do you think that I can still try a hospital grade pump? I ordered smaller breast shields, hopefully that works.

Also, I was thinking that I may have been having a day yesterday. I have pumped twice today (at work)and got 3 oz each time.

Finally, I want to thank everyone for the encouragement. It really helps

Great! Just wanted to ask - are you pumping through multiple letdowns? I'm sure everyone is different, and I don't know how much time you can devote to pumping per session, but I found that if I had the time I could pump until the flow slowed/stopped, then elicit another letdown by continuing to pump (with or without pushing that little "letdown" button on your pump) and get a little extra. Sometimes, if I really had time on my side, I could get three letdowns! That 3rd letdown would hardly be anything, but it was something! Just a thought...
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135