Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pacifier: Yes or No?

Default Pacifier: Yes or No?

I am a first time mom who is exclusively breastfeeding my 5 week old baby girl. I wanted to know from you breastfeeding moms your opinions on pacifiers. Yes or no and if yes when should I give it to her? How often should I give it to her? I don't want to cause nipple confusion but I also would like a break sometimes b/c she always seems to use me as a pacifier and I can't seem to get anything done.

Default Re: Pacifier: Yes or No?

It's very common in the early weeks for baby to want to nurse all the time. This is completely normal and actually helps you to establish a good supply! With that said though, I did use a pacifier with my kids. If you can hold out another week (the 6 week mark is usually when your supply is established) I would do that. As for when to offer it, that's up to you. You know your baby best. Always offer to nurse first and never give the pacifier instead of the breast We used the pacifier in the car a lot because my ds2 cried in the car We also used it periodically throughout the day when he refused the breast but wanted to suck. We also got rid of the paci around 7-8 months (because we had such a hard time getting rid of the paci with my oldest son, who was over two when we tried to get rid of it) and it worked out really well. It was a life saver when I had to do things like shower or use the bathroom, cook dinner, etc. but as he got older we could distract him with toys during those times. Some mothers don't offer the paci at all and others use it a lot - every baby (and every mama) is different

ETA: Nipple confusion can happen with a paci but it's not as likely because they aren't getting any milk out of it.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Terrific advice from the PP, as usual.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Which paci do you recommend? How do moms do without a paci when away from their baby?

I never used a soother with DD, born last year, and we just spent lots of time together, then she also learned other things to do to feel comforted.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/concerns/pacifier.html more good advice here
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

#1 wouldn't take one, #2 I haven't even bothered. They will do fine when away from mom...my mom used to swaddle and rock my DD.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

We chose to use one, I think I introduced it at the recommended time... 6 weeks or something.

I'll have to look it up again. We would only use it after nursing before nap and bed time for settling. I told my sitters that the binky is restricted to the crib, and to never let him have it outside. We'd nurse, I'd lay him down drowsy and then give him his binks. Further, we chose to never put it back in if he lost it at night. He'd nurse and then I'd rock him back to sleep. We didn't want him to look for it at night and cry when he didn't have it. Worked awesome.

We love the NUK Genius. It's flat across the top if you have a tummy sleeper like I did, they can turn their head left and right and keep it.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!