Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cup feeding a toddler

Question cup feeding a toddler

Hi ladies,
    My DS is almost a year old. I can't even believe we're still nursing. I wanted to know from you veteran moms...when & how do I offer a cup? He takes a bottle when I work. But I work only two nights a week. So he's getting 2 bottles during the night. Doesn't seem right to put BM in a cup for him then. He's still breatfeeding morning, night, snacktime & before meals. Is he supposed to get cow's milk in a cup? That doesn't sound right. Should he just get water? Is my milk supply enough daily fluid intake for him? Sorry about all the questions. Just want to know what my day should look like.
    ~LG~
    Mommy to:
    Chloe- BF 4 weeks
    Julia - BF 11 mos
    Jenna - BF 9 mos
    Caite - BF 7 mos
    Aidan - BFing since birth & hopefully for 2 years

We , , , & homeschool

Default Re: cup feeding a toddler

It sounds like your DS is getting enough liquids that you don't have to worry, but I would be offering a cup now just as training. My solution was to offer water most of the time, with watered-down juice given once a day. We started by offering a sippy cup without the stopper in, offered only at mealtimes. Once baby understood that liquid came out of this thing, we put the stopper in. And once she got the hang of that, I kept a cup of water available all the time.

As much as your DS is nursing, he certainly doesn't need milk. Milk is given as the next step from formula; the fat and other nutrients in it are good for brain development and other needs. But you're not on that track; your breastmilk is better than cow's milk for all that!

(That said, we do now give milk to our 19mo once per day: it's chocolate milk, with about half the flavoring that the package recommends. LO's still erratic about eating solids sometimes, and this is my way of making sure she gets some protein that's not from me; the protein seems to cut down on the nursing demands a bit!)

Good luck, Mama; you're doing great!
    Last edited by @llli*mama.jen; October 1st, 2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: changed some clumsy phrasing
    Mama Jen

Mom to:
    Happy Toddler, 19 months, still bfeeding
    Late Son, passed at age 8, bfed 5 months
    Daughter the Elder, age 19 yrs, bfed for 22 months

I would usually offer some water with their meal.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

ok to start with a cup, can practice at mealtimes so cleanup is less of a big deal. i offer water with meals in a small cup for her. water with meals also helps with constipation.

you don't need to do cows milk if you're still bfing at least 3-4 times a day. we don't do cows milk yet either and just like the pp said, its not better than your milk, not by a long shot.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog