Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: signs and symptoms of mastitis

Default signs and symptoms of mastitis

I am in a lot pain on my right side. Mainly when my little one latches on. It radiates to my back and into my right arm, and i am very nauseous. I am not pregnant i have taken a test. I have also checked for a lump but can't really find one. I have had a very low fever and been completely exhausted. I just feel miserable and in a lot of pain. Does anyone know what this could be?

Default Re: signs and symptoms of mastitis

Is the pain only when she's latched on or is your breast tender other times as well.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

The pain is sharp when she latches but it hurts all the time.

Do you have a fever?

Symptoms of mastitis would include a painful tender area on the breast (could be the whole breast), feeling full even after nursing, red streaks on the breast (not always visible on certain skin tones), fever of higher than 102 degrees, aches and pains, malaise, and flu symptoms.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I had a low grade fever this morning i took ibuprofen and it went away. I have been feeling really exhausted and very sore. Only on the right side. It is the whole breast and into my back and down my arm. I have been feeling nauseous and finally called the doc. They are going to put me on meds and see if that helps but i am to go and see them on monday if it doesn't. They think it might be a mastitis and want to make sure it doesn't get to bad.

I've had mastitis twice and the sign that gave it away for me and the docs both times was the fact that my skin was bright red where the pain/lump was- like I had put a really hot heating pad on it. But, I'm very pale and like joe.s.mom. said, I guess it might not show up on all skin tones.
    Mother to Quenby Anne, born 29 March 2011, 5 lbs. 9 oz, but doubled birth weight in 9 weeks!

Interested in maternal attachment and research about infant development? Check out my blog! www.asecurebase.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laura10 View Post
    I had a low grade fever this morning i took ibuprofen and it went away. I have been feeling really exhausted and very sore. Only on the right side. It is the whole breast and into my back and down my arm. I have been feeling nauseous and finally called the doc. They are going to put me on meds and see if that helps but i am to go and see them on monday if it doesn't. They think it might be a mastitis and want to make sure it doesn't get to bad.
    If you get really sick, you'll know, unfortunately. In the meantime, get in a hot bath RIGHT NOW and start massaging the heck out of that side. If it hurts, you're doing the right thing. Then get in bed and nurse the rest of the time. you may be able to nip this in the bud.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

yup what she said and don't suffer longer then you have to....
    lots of info here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

i called my doc and she put me on meds. She said if i'm not better by monday then she wants to see me. I am feeding my little one and stopped the pump until this goes away. I have been getting really dizzy this evening and very sick to my stomach. I just want to lay in bed, i have no energy for anything. I don't have time to be sick, i have 7 kids. The doc is afraid that i'm may have to go to the hospital. She knows that when i call i usually wait until i have to be in the hospital. So she made sure to set up the appointment for monday. They wanted to see me on friday but i want to try meds first. I don't have insurance and can't afford to be in the hospital. I'm very scared that this could be hurting my baby. My breast feels full but she doesn't seem to be getting anything. She is still latching and getting plenty from the other breast, but my right breast is just killing me. And my arm and shoulder are hurting really bad as well. I didn't have a fever this morning but i just can't seem to get anything done at my house. I don't have energy to stand very long. It took almost 2 hours to fix dinner. I don't know what more i can do other than rest and my husband works 2 jobs to support our family. My ex's don't pay their child support and my husband supports them. I'm just very stressed and being sick just doesn't seem to be helping.

I just got my birth control all fixed to where my milk was coming back and now i have a mastitis and this is affecting my milk. It almost feels like everything is against me with breastfeeding. I want to do this more than anything. I am determined... I want to feed my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    If you get really sick, you'll know, unfortunately. In the meantime, get in a hot bath RIGHT NOW and start massaging the heck out of that side. If it hurts, you're doing the right thing. Then get in bed and nurse the rest of the time. you may be able to nip this in the bud.
    massage like crazy all around the breast. start at the armpit and work your way all over. Doing it in a hot bath or hot shower is the best way. I know it hurts but it could really help.

btw its been a few days since you posted - how are things now?
    July 27 2011