Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: have to bottle feed for 48hours

Default have to bottle feed for 48hours

My c-section is not healing 10 weeks postpartum so they did a ct scan today. I checked last week and was told my milk would be fine, but today was told 48hours until I can feed again - I had a contrast. I have about 24 oz pumped so I will need to supplement. I can't even find a bottle I like or that is slow enough for him. Any suggestions on bottles and how to mix in the formula with my limited stash would be helpful. Just pumped and dumped 8 oz down the drain...almost cried.Thank you.

Default Re: have to bottle feed for 48hours

hi mama. breastflow is similar to the breast, many moms like the platex drop ins, my son takes the medela.

is this his first time with a bottle? he may not take it well, so i would offer small amounts at first, try an oz. if he takes it well the give another oz. he will need 1-1.5 oz per hour of breastmilk. i don't know about formula.

i would also offer just the BM alone first, that way if he doesnt drink it you dont need to throw it out. just offer at the next feeding. if you get to the point where you run out of milk, then you give the formula.

why did they tell you last week it was ok then change their minds? there is a number you can call, i'll see if i can find it

hope that helps. good luck.
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; September 26th, 2011 at 03:58 PM.

here it is:
    http://www.infantrisk.com/

check with them first its for drug safety but i wonder if they could help. worth a shot

Here is the kellymom link that says no need to wait to bf at all
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/radioisotopes.html
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

so ignore everything i said

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1952588/
    More info on contrast and BFing.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

And my daughter had at least three CTs, with contrast, before she was a year old. The concern was always about the x-rays, never about the contrast. And I am sure she got a lot more contrast than your LO could get during BFing.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

So sorry what you are going through! C-sections are difficult enough (I've had two) without going through this! Bless your heart! My daughter LOVED the Playtex Drop-Ins Latex Nipples and bottle system. I tried not to use bottles but after a huge ordeal with a very stubborn kidney stone (and several trips to the ER, etc.), I had to make sure she would have a means to feed. I tried these and there was never any issues with nipple confusion. I liked that they resembled the areola and nipple (even same color) and they are very soft...not stiff like regular nipples are. I've included the link below. Good luck, and hang in there! Hope you feel better soon!

http://www.playtexbaby.com/Bottles/D...x-Nipples.aspx

I was told 24 hours after my CT scan, but the LC I saw who has been in the business for 30 years and comes highly recommended, says that all the research and literature says it's fine and no need to pump and dump.