Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite rice cereal brands?

Default Re: Favorite rice cereal brands?

I did BLS with both my food allergy LO.

I DID prepare foods for baby. Was very careful to introduce ONE food at a time and then waited several days to see if baby had any reactions before introducing a new food. I kept a detailed diary of all foods we'd tried and any reactions. I was very strategic to introduce foods that would allow me to be able to make dishes for the entire family. Baby was only eating "special" food for a couple of months.

For DCP - I ONLY sent with baby foods that baby had "mastered" at home - food was both safe and something baby could eat well without major gagging. I provided all foods so was in total control of what baby was eating. I let DCP know that baby was VERY good at self-feeding and to please also have baby self-feed at day care. DCP at first thought I was a bit nuts, but was won over once she saw how well abby did at self-feeding. Once my LO were in the toddler room, the teachers were very impressed at self-feeding skills. I smiled and said that was because baby had ALWAYS self-fed.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks for the replies!

But what do you all do for iron? My pedi recommended rice cereal b/c of the iron. LO is 6 months and so far has been EBF'd and has had a few teaspoons of homemade applesauce here and there.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Unless your LO has tested low for iron I wouldn't worry about it. The iron in baby cereal isn't absorbed very well, breastmilk may not have a lot of iron in it but baby is able to use more of it than any of the cereal. IMO you're much better off with breastmilk and iron rich real food!
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

Apparently they store up iron in utero and don't really need "outside" sources of iron until around 9 months, which is about when they start really getting into solids.

iron found in baby cereal is fortified and therefore not easily absorbed by baby. If your baby has low iron it's more effective to offer foods that are naturally rich in iron
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet