Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP ASAP! Advice needed from BTDT Moms!

Default HELP ASAP! Advice needed from BTDT Moms!

Please don’t take this post as a post of “not wanting to put forth an effort” post, or that I’m too lazy to try! *IF* there’s a chance I can get my milk back, or even SOME of it, I will try! I just don’t want to get started if for surely it’s been too long to do any good
    A little bit of background. I’m a mom to 4 year old b/g twins and just had a baby boy July 11th. With my twins, they were 7 weeks early, didn’t have a strong suck reflex, I WAS lazy and KNOW I didn’t try hard enough, long enough, I’ll be the VERY first to admit that. I quit pumping probably 3 weeks after they were born and slowly allowed my exhaustion to lead to less and less BF. After a short while all of my milk was gone and that was that. When I became pregnant with my last baby, I knew from the start I didn’t try hard enough with my twins and promised myself this one would be different. My pregnancy was beautiful up until the week before he had to be delivered 4 weeks early, due to high blood pressure. Along with high blood pressure comes the lovely magnesium drip for 24 hours after a csection. Unlike with my twins, he was able to come right back in to my room and begin nursing within an hour of having him. I nursed and nursed and nursed, but after the 2nd day the hospital told me he was losing too much weight. (He had only lost 7% by day 3) HOWEVER, I was told and FORCED (He was made to stay an extra day in the hospital until I finally caved) to feed formula. I would BF and then follow up with formula, per the doctor’s ORDERS (not suggestions, these were orders….can you tell I’m still ANGRY about this???) My son NEVER lost more than 9% of his birth weight, however, I was FORCED to do this. Once he got used to drinking from a bottle, he became lazy and wouldn’t nurse as hard on my breast as I think he would have had he been exclusively breast fed. (When he was given the breast he would bite down hard and shake it back and forth. )
    We came home on Friday (he was born Monday) and by Sunday *I* was back in the hospital with high blood pressure and placed on another magnesium drip. He was home with my husband. I remained in the hospital, for another 5 days. The baby could have stayed with me in the hospital *IF* I would have had someone else with me, 24/7 to “care for the baby”. My blood pressure was so dangerously high they wouldn’t allow him to stay with me alone. Because it’s just my husband, twins and I (we live in Texas, family in California) I had no choice but to have him stay at home with my husband and I pumped in the hospital. Although I pumped religiously every 3 hours, sometimes more frequently, I started noticing less and less (Lactation consultant said this was due to the magnesium drip). By the time I got home from the hospital for the second time, little guy wanted NOTHING to do with my breast, unless it was to bite down hard over and over again (I know no teeth, but still hurt like heck!). I still continued to pump, but again, my supply dwindled down until I was getting 1 ouce every 5 hours, TOTAL (both breasts combined). 3 weeks ago, I gave up.
    I just returned my breast pump last week after not pumping/breast feeding for the past 3 weeks. Last night, while sitting at my computer desk I felt an odd tingle. I checked my bra and in my right breast it was wet. I squeezed my breast and a small amount of milk came out. I immediately got my son and started nursing him. After about 10 minutes he seemed bored, so I switched to my left breast, which also produced milk when expressed. I have NO IDEA how much milk he got, but even after he was done sucking, about 10 minutes later, when I would express small droplets of milk came out. (I do want to add, after the 20 minutes of nursing, he still ate his entire bottle of 5 ounces of formula).
    This morning at work, I HURT. My breasts are chapped and cracked again, but IF there is a chance with repeated nursing I can get my milk back, even just a small amount, I will nurse him in the mornings and in the evenings as much as possible.
    WHAT DO YOU THINK???? I haven’t nursed or pumped for 3 weeks now. Is it worth the cracked nipples, AND is my milk still nourishing enough after this long??? Please help ASAP!!!
    If this is my second chance I’m going to take it!!!

Default Re: HELP ASAP! Advice needed from BTDT M

There are definitely women who have done exactly what you want to do and the fact that your LO is willing to nurse is a great sign. Here is a collection of links to get you started; I am sure that some other mommas will have more suggestions.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lyndeeboo View Post
    This morning at work, I HURT. My breasts are chapped and cracked again, but IF there is a chance with repeated nursing I can get my milk back, even just a small amount, I will nurse him in the mornings and in the evenings as much as possible.
    WHAT DO YOU THINK???? I haven’t nursed or pumped for 3 weeks now. Is it worth the cracked nipples, AND is my milk still nourishing enough after this long??? Please help ASAP!!!
    If this is my second chance I’m going to take it!!!
    You can get your milk back. You will have to work at it but you can. And every single ounce of your milk will be liquid gold for your baby. Every ounce is increased immunity and increased nutrients.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Just wanted to say good luck! You can do it!!!
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

You can do it! Follow those links from the PPs and you will get a ton of information on how to get going.

I am really sorry you had such an awful experience in the hospital.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you ladies for all of the advice, links & encouragement ...it means the WORLD to me! Im off to read all of the links @ lunch today. THANK YOU!!!!
    Oh, any way to teach my little guy to not clamp down so hard on my nipple at this point???