Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing interest (& I'm losing patience)

Default Losing interest (& I'm losing patience)

Hi Ladies...just looking for a little support at this time. DD is 21 months and I can tell she's losing interest in nursing. It started with the daytime feeds...but now it's happening at the morning and evening (which were always the two times I could count on her taking milk). She never asks for it anymore, its more like me just going through the motions of Okay...it's morning, time to nurse. Okay, it's nap time, time to nurse. And she hasn't night nursed since she was 7 months old. But when I sit her down in the chair on my lap, she finds anything and everything to play with other than nursing. And then she'll do a "fake" latch and look up at me like "okay there, I'm done". When I know she didn't even get one drop. Or she sits on my lap FOREVER just singing, twiddling, trying to smack me...etc...until I just can't take it and take her off my lap. I have noticed lately that sometimes when she goes to nurse she makes a face and puts her finger in her mouth (maybe a tooth?). She doesn't talk yet, which is frustrating, so I have no idea what the problem is. It's been going on for about a week so far. The nursing sessions are getting shorter and shorter and now the past 2 days they're practically non existent. (maybe it's because AF is 8 days away though and the milk tastes funny). UGH, anyway this turned into a long vent. If anyone can make heads or tails of any of this (lol!), I sure would appreciate any words of encouragement at this point. Thanks!
    Gina - SAHM to Sofia Rose born day after Christmas! 12/26/09

Nursing two years and still going!

Default Re: Losing interest (& I'm losing patien

My son started this around 20 months, then started going a day or two in between nursing and then just stopped at about 22 months. I know other moms whose kids did the same thing and then started back up, which can be perfectly normal. Are you mourning the loss of the nursing sessions or are you completely opposed to weaning?

At this point, is there any point in pumping during those times when she doesn't want to nurse? Or just let the body follow whatever days DD wants to nurse?

I'm definitely mourning the loss of the nursing sessions... I'm not opposed to it, I was just hoping to make it to 2 yo. :/

You can pump if you want, if you are able to. I never got any output at that age. Will she take breast milk out of a cup or sippy?

I bawled when my son stopped, but part of me was ready. It is still sad and hard to deal with, no matter what the circumstance. Just remember that you are allowing her to take the lead. So, if she does wean, it was on her terms and you are FABULOUS for making it as long as you did! Great job mama!

I also want to repeat that what your dd is doing is not abnormal. Lots of kids this age will go through spurts where they just aren't interested and then pick it back up. Don't stress mama, just let it happen naturally

Joe is pretty uninterested in nursing these days too. I think it's because he's getting ready to wean. He may be ready, but I'm not ready! It's hard sometimes.

You're doing a wonderful thing in letting your child self-wean.

One thing - you may keep up nursing just once or twice a day for a loooong time. So this may be the beginning of the end of nursing, but the end may still be far off.

At this point, you don't have to pump unless you want to. If your baby backs off the nursing, your supply will go down, but if she gets interested again, it will recover.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks Ladies...you already made me feel better And you're right, one or twice a day is better than none at all! So I'll take it!

And as for pumping, just like shannon75, I can not get anything out at this point. So is it even worth pumping to maintain supply if nothing comes out?!

I haven't pumped since Joe turned about one! So I'd say, no, don't bother pumping. Even when Joe only nurses a tiny bit one day, I always seem to have some for him the next day. I don't think you need to worry about your supply at this age.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I haven't pumped since Joe turned about one! So I'd say, no, don't bother pumping. Even when Joe only nurses a tiny bit one day, I always seem to have some for him the next day. I don't think you need to worry about your supply at this age.
    Oh wow! I've been pumping everyday before bed because some LC told me that since my DD doesn't nurse at night anymore that my milk supply won't be able to go from bedtime (8pm) until morning (8am) without eventually drying up. ??? She scared me so much that I nurse DD at bedtime...then I do another pump (ugh!!) before I go to bed. Feels like a waste of time since I can't get anything out anymore, but I do it because she worried me :/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*italianprinses View Post
    Oh wow! I've been pumping everyday before bed because some LC told me that since my DD doesn't nurse at night anymore that my milk supply won't be able to go from bedtime (8pm) until morning (8am) without eventually drying up. ??? She scared me so much that I nurse DD at bedtime...then I do another pump (ugh!!) before I go to bed. Feels like a waste of time since I can't get anything out anymore, but I do it because she worried me :/
    Oh gosh, that might be true (for some moms) at 4 months, but 21 months? You can toss that pump to the curb!

You can call me JoMo!

Big Mama!
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.