Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ack what's up with my pump???

Default Ack what's up with my pump???

Hi there. I have a Medela PISA that was bought in 2009. I pumped for 17 months for my twins, had a few months off and am currently pumping for my 5 month old. However, recently my pump seems to not be working very well. It will pump, draw in my nipple but once it's drawn it in, it seems to just release it really quick so my nipple 'slaps' back. Then, because it doesn't keep it drawn into the flange properly I get a ton of milk seeping out around the breast and all down my front. I have sterilized everything, taken apart the pump and cleaned it. My husband has looked it over and can find no issues. It's starting to affect my supply terribly and I am scared I will loose my supply totally if I can't figure out what it's issue is. It was working fine, no issues up until a couple of weeks ago. Will Medela help at all? I've not had the best service with them in the past, as I am in Canada and nowhere close to any of the centers that sell Medela stuff. I'm so worried. Any ideas at all?? Thank you in advance.

Tara

Default Re: Ack what's up with my pump???

Maybe the motor? I don't think they have an infinate life...I think I heard about 1 yr depending on how oftenyou pump. Did you EP for the twing? You may need a new one
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

17 months is a long time for a pump like the PISA. Have you tried changing the membranes in the valves? Otherwise it is probably time for a new pump.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thank you for your replies. Yes I EP'd for my twins, preemies, no latch etc etc. I tried so hard to make b/f work with this baby, but it was not to be either. I am afraid I do need a new pump, just do not have an extra 350+ laying around to buy one. I have changed out the membranes too. Do either of you know how the Mipump is? I just want to make it to a year with my dd, so April. No one in town even sells anything as a double pump besides that one. Thanks again for your replies.

Tara

Do you know anyone in the US that can get you a new PISA ? They are about 250 here. I've seen ppl in Canada do that. You will probably spend more than $350 on formula - so that justifies the pump purchase. CAn you order it online? I have no idea what the mipump is...sorry.
    Proud mom of 2:

Proud mom of 2:

I would NOT use a MiPump. I have not heard anything good about them. Particularly for an EPing mom. You've probably worn that pump out. You need a new one, and honestly, to EP well..an hospital grade pump would be better, particularly since you are having supply problems now. You can rent one of those for $50 a month.

You could also look at a Lansinoh/Ameda, as they sell for about $150 US.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!