Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS & silverware

Default BLS & silverware

So, BLS is going great for us. I ended up buying the BLS cookbook because I know I wasn't getting enough variety in just cooking what I normally cook for me and my husband.

Anyway, my son is 10.5 months old now and has been really interested in silverware for a few weeks now. I've always given him a spoon or fork with his meals just to play with - or sometimes given him a preloaded spoon of yogurt to lick...but now he is insistent - when we are eating at the table, everything must be on a spoon or fork.

But he won't load it himself...even with a tray full of food in front of him and silverware in his hands...he reaches out to us for a preloaded spoon or fork. He takes it from us, eats it and then throws it on the floor. I've tried for a few weeks now to show him how to use it...i hold it in his hand and move his hand. I've taken his hand and directed it to give the utensil back to me...

I know it is normal to chuck food and things when you are 10.5 months old - but it is so frustrating picking it back up every single bite. As soon as he chucks it he signs "more" and looks at our plates.

Any other suggestions on how to help him with this???
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Default Re: BLS & silverware

We gave my son utensils and let him play with them, but it was a long time before he used them with much success. There were times we fed him if he wanted us to, and gradually he figured out spoons and forks (and of course fingers ).

Stay calm! With both our LO there was a couple months of flinging that seemed to get worse before it got better.

We gave our LO other non-mealtime opportunities to experiment with "gravity". When food or utensils got flung at meals we reminded LO of the OTHER times it was ok to do that sort of play.

We got VERY fast anticipating the fling and usually was able to intercept. We also very calmly repeated every single time something like "when you are done please hand that back to mommy (or daddy)".

Do you eat at the same time as your LO? I firmly believe that many food skills are learned and the best way to learn is by watching mommy / daddy model using utensils.

Hang in there!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

They don't properly learn to use them, as the older child, until they are probably 2ish. My third kid was the only one of mine using silverware by 12 months, but he still doesn't hold it perfectly.

Just keep modeling. And catching or picking up I think I also stopped loading and started letting the kid (#1) feed himself
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I think that my BLS kids were pretty good at using a fork / spoon by about 13 mo. But often still chose to use fingers because it's faster. We've been working with the 2 yo on using utensils and not fingers (he'll pick up a food item in his fingers and ask "Ma use fingers eat?" and we say "no thank you - please use your fork"). Table manners are an ongoing process. Our 5 yo fully knows how to use utensils correctly, but we still need to gently remind him to eat correctly.

Put an old towel or a plastic sheet on the floor under baby's chair. Catches most of the mess and makes cleanup much easier.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My BLS kids are and were good at utensils. But I rarely loaded and didn't give them utensils til they started taking mine

I personally would quit loading and let him work it out (but I am lazy)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I honestly thought I replied to this again....but apparently not! Some obvious baby brain going on over here....

So - thanks for the suggestions and personal experiences. We will definitely have to try playing with gravity during times that are more appropriate..cuz the boy LOVES chucking his pacifier too.

We do eat together as a family. I'm about 7 weeks pregnant and still nursing, so it's very rare that I'm not hungry too. We don't put any pressure on him to use the utensils - but he won't eat his food unless it is preloaded for him. We'll just keep doing what we're doing...I'm sure it will sort itself out soon - just when you think you have it down, something changes, right??

Thanks again ladies.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.