Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Comfort nursing

Default Comfort nursing

My DD (10 weeks old) will rarely take a pacifier, which I'm ok with, but I'm going back to work in a week and don't want the sitter mistaking her wanting to suck with her being hungry. She always wants to suck to get to sleep. I work a later shift most days, so I don't get home 'til about 10 p.m. Any advice for the sitter and my DH as to how they can soothe her so she can go to sleep?
    Mommy to:
    DD born 7/14/2011 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    DS born 5/31/2013 8 lbs. 6.5 oz.

Default Re: Comfort nursing

bump
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Two thoughts:

1) if you would feel better if she took/liked a paci, have you tried different brands? I ask because my DD wasn't so excited about pacis at first either - but my DH really wanted her to have one as he was a very late thumb sucker and really wants to avoid that (I am much more ambivalent, but I respect his feelings on the issue). Anyway, the first several pacis I bought she hated and couldn't use. Soothies would never stay in her mouth. Nuks seemed to irritate her. And some others too. Then I found that she really liked Mam and those stayed in, but what she REALLY liked was a very particular Mam design called Mam Air (so apparently both the inside AND the outside part of the paci mattered to her). I don't think there's anything magical about that specific paci, by the way, I'm just explaining that I had to figure out her preference. Over the last year, there have been times where I couldn't find Mam Airs locally, and then I would find them while travelling or something and buy out the store Now that she's a toddler, she's much less dognatic but those remain her favorites. Not saying you NEED a paci, BTW.

2) I know it is stressful to think about going back to work mama I remember feeling very similar, not necessarily about this, but about, oh, everything. I was pretty darn sure that I was really the only one who could take care of my baby. Of course this wasn't true, but still going back to work is a HUGE HUGE leap of faith on your part! I would suggest being proactive about educating your DCP about BF babies and the amounts they need and the best way to bottlefeed by going over to kellymom and printing out some articles there for her on bottlefeeding a breastfed baby. But assuming you trust your DCP, and ESPECIALLY with your DH, they may not do things the way you do. And that's OK. They will find their own ways to soothe her. What I found is DH's methods worked great for him, but my LO wanted different things from me so it seemed impossible what DH could do. For example I didn't think she could go to sleep without nursing! But turns out she just couldn't go to sleep around ME without nursing, kwim?

Very best wishes, good luck and keep us posted!
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

I agree with PP . I had the same issue with DS, he wouldn't take a paci at all at first, but now has a preference to the MAM ones. I also didn't think he would be able to go to sleep without nursing and me, but DH had him while I was out one afternoon and all's he needed was the paci and swing! They seem to like and need different things from each person. Does your sitter have access to a swing? That might help with the paci for soothing.
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!

My mom used to swaddle and rock my DD, then sleep with her. Sometimes she'd give her some milk in her bottle.
    My DH used to walk her around until she fell asleep.
    Going back to work, really stinks and it's hard, but everything will be OK.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

First of all, thank you to everyone who has responded--I was beginning to think I'd get no help on here!

I am not at all opposed to DD taking a pacifier, she just spits them all out! We've tried every different one out there and she ends up spitting them all out. And we gave them all a good try, too, not just once and done. It does make sense that when I'm around that's how she's going to want to go to sleep. I guess it's just me worrying when I don't really need to, but it's hard not to!

I guess deep down I knew all these things, I just needed some reassurance from other mommies who have been in the same spot. Thanks!
    Mommy to:
    DD born 7/14/2011 7 lbs. 10 oz.
    DS born 5/31/2013 8 lbs. 6.5 oz.

Don't worry about worrying too much, we all do!! (That's how I ended up on here!) DS is 19 weeks and I am still worrying about every little thing (and probably always will, ahh the joys of motherhood!), but have found this forum to be invaluable for advise, encouragement, and just knowing you aren't alone!
    In reference to the paci, DS was 16 weeks before he would take one. Hated them and spit them out until his gums started hurting really badly from teething and he figured he could chomp on them to relieve the pressure. Maybe it will just take a little time, keep offering every once in a while to see if her view/need has changed. That's what I would do, offer a different one when I noticed his sucking (non-eating) would be at it's worst.
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!