Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping for a preemie

Default Pumping for a preemie

My son was born Monday at 25 weeks. I've been pumping since 4 hours after my c-section. Tonight at my 8pm pumping I was able to get 3/4 of an ounce total. That is the most I have had. I just pumped again at 10:15 and only got a drop. Is this normal or is something wrong? Bringing him breast milk is the only thing I can do for him so I am panicking thinking I am losing my supply.

Default Re: Pumping for a preemie

Are you using the hospital grade pump? Have an LC check the horns to be sure they fit correctly. Try breast compressions before. Warm compresses can also help. Your supply will increase, but it can take a little time. Try not to stress. As soon as they let you, have your baby doing skin to skin. That will also help.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I am using a hospital grade pump. An LC did say the horns fit correctly. I have not tried the compressions or warm compresses but I will. Thank you!

I know how hard it is and how helpless you can feel while your baby is in the NICU being cared for by others. Try and spend as much time with him as possible. Your baby will help your supply. By the time my daughter got out of the NICU I was pumping 8-10 ounces every 2-3 hours. Give it time.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn