Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping a lot at night...

Default Sleeping a lot at night...

I know this has been addressed before, but I just wanted to ask in regards to my daughter's age...

She's 24 days old today. Each night she has a block of time sleeping that lasts 5 hours or so. Two nights ago, she slept 6 hours 45 minutes. When I woke up and looked at the clock, I nearly freaked out because she had gone over 7 hours without feeding.

At this age, now that my milk seems to be in and the supply is good (I believe it's good anyway), should I be as concerned about her lengthy sleep sessions? Should I set an alarm to go off after a certain amount of time so that we don't go so long between feedings?

She feeds about 8-9 times a day and unless she's cluster feeding, which has only happened a few times, she rarely feeds more than that per day.

I just want to make sure nothing jeopardizes my milk supply - i.e. sleeping too long between feedings. Also, I just want to mention that it is incredibly difficult to wake her for feedings if I feel she goes too long during the day.

Thanks!!

Smile Re: Sleeping a lot at night...

I wouldn't be worried about this at all! I would be happy to get that much sleep! haha At 24 weeks pp your milk supply should be well established (assuming that you are exclusively bf). Babies at that age do not need to feed overnight, especially if they are getting the milk they need during the day. If your baby is feeding frequently during the day she's probably getting her daily supply and that's why she chooses to sleep during the night instead of eat. My baby is 6 months old now and has slept very inconsistently ever since he was born. Some nights he'll wake every 2 hours, others every 3-4 hours and other nights he'll go 6-7 hours without waking to eat. My milk supply has always kept up to meet his needs. In the beginning when he was waking lots I had asked my ped. why he was waking so often and she explained to me that I my have low calories in my milk, therefore, his hunger returns more quickly than some babies making him hungry during the night. If your baby is sleeping soundly throughout the night for 6-7 hour stretches it may just mean that your milk is sufficient in calories and satisfies her hunger enough for her to feel full throughout the night. Enjoy it! Get some rest! You deserve it!

Default Re: Sleeping a lot at night...

Just to double-check -- Ashelyn is 24 DAYS old, not weeks, right?

The one thing I want to verify before telling you to relax and enjoy your sleep is that she is gaining weight adequately. I see in your sig that her birth weight was 7 pounds 5 oz. -- what and when was her lowest weight check, and at what age did she regain her birth weight?

Eight to nine feedings per 24 hours is on the low end of normal, but it is within that "at least 8-12 feedings/day" guideline. So if her diaper output is good (at least 5-6 good wet disposable diapers and 2-3 quarter-sized poops per 24-hour period) and her weight gain is good, then she's getting enough milk, which means you are making enough milk, which means you can relax and enjoy your sleep.

I will mention one item of interest, however. Research about the postpartum return of fertility has found that once an exclusively breastfed baby is going more than 5 hours without nursing at night, you are more likely to begin ovulating again. So if you resume sexual activity, take precautions if you don't want to get pregnant yet!

Cool Re: Sleeping a lot at night...

Sorry read that wrong. 24 days, not 24 weeks as I thought I saw.
    Late night. I was excited for you as I am the one who is not getting enough sleep - haha!

I don't want to rain on your parade...but enjoy it while it lasts!! As long as diapers and weight gain are okay of course! I thought I was so lucky with a LO sleeping through the night at that age...well a week later it all came to an end...now at 4 months he still wakes for about 3 feeds in the night! HTH

edited b/c somehow I posted the same thing twice (see below)
    Last edited by DebiMommyTo2; November 6th, 2006 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Rebecca View Post
    Just to double-check -- Ashelyn is 24 DAYS old, not weeks, right?

The one thing I want to verify before telling you to relax and enjoy your sleep is that she is gaining weight adequately. I see in your sig that her birth weight was 7 pounds 5 oz. -- what and when was her lowest weight check, and at what age did she regain her birth weight?

Eight to nine feedings per 24 hours is on the low end of normal, but it is within that "at least 8-12 feedings/day" guideline. So if her diaper output is good (at least 5-6 good wet disposable diapers and 2-3 quarter-sized poops per 24-hour period) and her weight gain is good, then she's getting enough milk, which means you are making enough milk, which means you can relax and enjoy your sleep.

I will mention one item of interest, however. Research about the postpartum return of fertility has found that once an exclusively breastfed baby is going more than 5 hours without nursing at night, you are more likely to begin ovulating again. So if you resume sexual activity, take precautions if you don't want to get pregnant yet!

Yes - 24 days, not weeks.

She was 8 pounds at her 2 week check-up, so she's definitely gaining well. When I had the LC over two weeks ago, Ashelyn was weighed before & after her feeding on a digital scale - she had taken 2.5 oz. Diapers are good. She goes through phases where she doesn't have a BM for 12 hours or so, but then she gets me good - she'll generally poop on me when I am changing a poop diaper.

Thanks for the info. I feel better about it - it was a little concerning at first. Everything I read says to not let the baby go that long between feedings or it might cause my supply to lessen.

AND - thanks for the ovulating info. Good lord - I would love to have more babies, but DH thinks we're done with two. If we do have another - I cannot even imagine getting pregnant again within the next year. Having two this close together is hard work and I need a break!!!