Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Random pumping questions

Default Random pumping questions

Okay, just need to have a few things clarified with pumping! I only need to give my son a bottle occasionally, so I have a few questions.

1. I know that it is best to pump at the same time as a bottle is being given, but when is the best time if that's not possible? Here is an example: I attend a mothers group twice a month. It usually lasts 2 hours or more and my son is in the nursery. I give them a bottle so I can be able to attend the group and not have to leave to nurse him. I usually nurse him before we leave the house and then he wants to eat again when we get home (it's a half hour drive each way). He likes to eat frequently during the day, so it's hard to hold him off. So I can't pump during the group when he gets the bottle and I can't pump when we get home since he wants to eat. So I end up pumping right after he eats. Then I get barely an ounce, so it doesn't make up for what he ate. I also have a similar situation when I leave him with my parents once a week. So, long story short, I end up pumping several times throughout the week to make up for the few times when I leave him. Is this normal? Is there a better way to do it?

2. My second question is this, I had to EP for a while and when I did that I was able to pump more than I can now in a session since I BF. I think this is normal because I was told a baby gets more out than a pump. But I was surprised the other day when I pumped barely an ounce and a half total and I hadn't BF for almost 2 hours. From pump to pump I would get more than from BF to pump in the same amount of time. Does that make sense? Is this normal? Or should I worry about supply?

Thanks in advance!!!

Default Re: Random pumping questions

I would suggest pumping when you first wake up, that's when I tend to get the most. Maybe if you wake before DS you could pump then?

It's totally normal to need to pump several times during the week to make up a bottle for an ocassional bottle for a mom who is nursing 100% at the breast. If you know that you need a bottle, it's generally easiest to pick one time a day and pump at that time; most moms find the AM the best time to pump a little extra to store. Or they pump after a feeding. While you won't collect more than a little bit after a feeding, particularly if baby takes both breasts, it increases demand on your breasts and will increase your supply in general.

This might be a stupid question...but why don't you just keep your baby with you during the mother's group and just nurse him instead of leaving him with a bottle? With a carrier, he would be no trouble, particularly if you get him to sleep. Or have them bring him to you if he seems hungry.

Your supply is even, that's why you aren't getting a lot of milk like you did at first when you were EPing. EPing tends to either create an OS or an undersupply at first, depending on how you do it, and your body didn't know how much milk to make anyway at first, so it might have naturally had an OS. And IMHO, it would be totally normal to get out less milk if you are BFing then pumping. The baby has removed more milk than the pump ever will. If you take out the baby aspect, you might get more milk at a pumping than you do now as a BFing mom.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post

This might be a stupid question...but why don't you just keep your baby with you during the mother's group and just nurse him instead of leaving him with a bottle? With a carrier, he would be no trouble, particularly if you get him to sleep. Or have them bring him to you if he seems hungry.
    Not a dumb question! I considered it, they welcome moms to that and some do. But he's 4 months and at the stage where he's very vocal, wants to be on the "move", and very demanding of my attention. I really wanted to get the most out of the group and while I am sure I still could with him, I know that my main focus would be on him. Since it's only 2x per month, I don't mind leaving him. If it was more often, I might keep him to limit the bottles. He is with me everyday, all day, so I like the break!

Thanks for the imput, I've just had some confusion with pumping since I got used to EPing.