Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help re breastfeeding my premature baby

Default Help re breastfeeding my premature baby

Hiya

I am new to this and not sure how it works. I would like some reassurance re breastfeeding my premature baby. She was born 11 weeks premature re pre-eclampsia and is 11 weeks old tomorrow. She left the hospital 3 weeks ago at 4lb 1oz and is now 4lb 8oz. while she is putting on weight I am concerned that it is at a really slow rate. I
    really don't want to move to bottle feeding but must admit it is tempting when i hear of babies that were in the unit with my daughter that are bottle fed and are now 5lb 9oz. I'm concerned therefore that she is not getting enough. She feeds from me every 3 - 4 hours, normally for around 20 minutes. Last night she took only 10 minutes and fell fast asleep. I try to reassure myself that her nappies are good and she wouldn't go to sleep if she was hungry but just can't shake the feeling that she should be putting on more weight. Can anyone please advise if i should stick with it or am I doing more harm than good by continuing to breast feed her with such a small weight gain? (I really am passionate about the benefits of bf and don't want to stop but don't want to detriment my baby.) x

Default Re: Help re breastfeeding my premature b

Oh mama, you're doing a great job! Not all babies grow at the same rate. Formula packs on pounds, but that's not necessarily a good thing. I can gain tons of weight eating ice cream and fried chicken but would that be healthy? Wouldn't protein and good fats do a better job? Breastmilk is far superior. Trust your body. My daughter was born at 33 weeks, spent 4 weeks in the NICU. She was 4.6 when born and 5 lbs when she left the hospital. By a year she was 15.5 lbs. She is perfectly healthy. Long and lean. She grew at a slower pace and her doctors and I were comfortable with her pace. We did have some issues by a year but that was for other reasons. Try not to stress and look for the clues you mentioned. The right number of wet and poop diapers.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Thank you so much for your reply, you are absolutely right, i have stopped stressing about her weight. She is getting weighed this afternoon so hopefully we will be moving in the right direction and this will boost my confidence again.

Its not easy breastfeeding is it, but worth it :0).

thank you for your advice, i really appreciate it xxx

Exactly. Let us know how the weigh in goes.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn