Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tracking feedings/diapers

Question Tracking feedings/diapers

Hey everyone!

Do you track your feed times and/or diaper output? If so, how long do you track them? It's something the hospital got us doing and since it's a good way to see how well the baby is eating I've kept doing it since, using an iPhone app that logs feed times and has a timer and an app that also marks diapers. My son is 5.5 weeks old and I'm wondering if I should keep logging them pretty rigorously.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Default Re: Tracking feedings/diapers

Our hospital started us doing that too. I think I kept it up for maybe two weeks at the most. I'm not sure we will do it so religiously for the next one. IMHO it really isn't necessary as long as baby is gaining well and reaching milestones. As long as it's not taking up to much of your time or causing you to worry over slight variations in things I don't think it will hurt anything to keep at it. To me I had more important things to do.

Just remember as baby gets older things will change. Your feeding time will probably decrease as baby gets more efficient at nursing and diaper frequency may go down as they can hold it longer.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

Once the baby is nursing well and gaining weight well, I don't think you need to keep track unless you suspect a problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

if you are feeding on demand there is no need to keep a strict log. I would count wet diapers though - and as long as you're getting 5-6 wet diapers in 24 hours then your baby is getting enough
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

My hospital started me doing that also. I stopped logging the diapers at about 2 weeks, and stopped keeping track of how long DS eats on each side at about 2months. I am still logging when he eats and what side he eats on though. It just makes it easier for me to remember what side to start on. It is also good for me when we go to the doctor's as they always ask how long he goes in between feedings. I just keep my homemade chart next to where we do most of our feedings and jot it down. Have been doing this for 4.5months now. (but I am a spaz)
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!