Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Second time mom with stupid question

Default Second time mom with stupid question

My DD is10 days old today... When my milk came in my breasts were hard and swollen... Very engourged. Now they are softer and do get firmer when it is time to feed but does that mean my supply is dwindling or that my body is just regulating.. She had 3 dirty diapers and several wets yesterday. However when I move my Brest from her mouththere is milk there. Hopefully my supply isn't going down. With my son I pumped a lot more. So any help would be great!! Sorry for any spelling issues on my iPhone.
    I'm Kelly,mom to Sam!!10.6.09: and Kate!! 9.15.11 and away!!!
    Married to Matt since 10.13.07!!!!
    Also loving my furry brown lab, Bo!!!

Default Re: Second time mom with stupid question

Sounds perfectly normal. Does not mean you are losing your milk, just regulating. Pumping output is not a good indicator for your supply. Doesn't sound like there's any reason to think you are losing since your LO has plenty of dirty/wet diapers.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Thanks..... I didn't think I should worry but I don't think I know how to not worry!!! And like I said with my son I pumped a lot so I felt engorged most of the time. Now she nurses like a champ and I have only pumped 2x's. Anyways thanks again!!!
    I'm Kelly,mom to Sam!!10.6.09: and Kate!! 9.15.11 and away!!!
    Married to Matt since 10.13.07!!!!
    Also loving my furry brown lab, Bo!!!

with the PP. Once you have been nursing for a while and your supply is well-matched to your baby's needs, there is no reason to expect that you will feel engorged or even full on more than an occasional basis. I've nursed 2 kids for a total of 4.5 years, and have only ever been engorged or had feelings of fullness during the newborn period or when my kids have skipped feedings.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sometimes you just need reassurance that what you are doing is right.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Ita with the pp.
    I remember my supply regulating a lot quicker with baby number two. ( less engorgement)
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Sounds like supply regulating. Put down the pump, relax and enjoy your baby!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language