Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twiddling While Nursing

Default Re: Twiddling While Nursing

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    it's natural, if that is what you are worried about. Just like when they fiddle with themselves, shocking, but natural..... and a bit funny
    I was wondering if it helped him to get more milk or something. Like how double pumping is supposed to yield more milk than pumping one side at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jentut View Post
    I was wondering if it helped him to get more milk or something. Like how double pumping is supposed to yield more milk than pumping one side at a time.
    It does! You are correct. As DJ's Mom pointed out it stimuates the breast to help with let down. In fact many times the advice to twiddle your nipples between your forefinger and thumb until you achieve letdown is given to moms who pump.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

My DD has done this for a long time! It used to bother me, (and I'll admit sometimes it still does), but for the most part I don't mind. She is very insistant on being able to do it. She also just discovered that if she unlaches she can squeeze moms boobie and "sqwert", (as she says it), momma milk. She has a big laugh about that.

But back to the subject, yes I think it is normal. She calls it loving the other side! She also sometimes will stay latched on, but pull her head back, I think this is to get more milk to come out! They are so smart!

My 23 month onld son also twiddles with the nipple her is not nursing from. I usually take his hand and hold it as this is the hand/arm that flabs about for something to hold onto!

Mali still does that sometimes, has done it off and on since she was about 4 months old. Its natural, and helps the milk let down faster.

I get out the

Nursing Necklace

I made for her when she was born. I put it in her hands and tell her that she needs to hold the necklace or be done getting milk.
    Lori )O(
    Extended nursing, home birthing, unschooling, Nursing Necklace making, WAHM to Konur 3-11-01 and Mali 6-16-04
    Leave Nursing Necklaces Feedback Here

I couldn't stand the nipple twiddling and fiddling! I got my daughter to hold my elbow instead, that seemed to answer. Sometimes I still have to remind her, Don't touch my nipple please! -- but she's mostly pretty good about it. Now, after a year or more of regular elbow twiddling, she has a serious elbow fetish; Elbow is part of the family, just like the Nannies (my breasts). It's pretty funny.

Yes! All 3 of my children twiddled when nursing. When my oldest 2 did it I would hold hands with them as distraction. As they got older (not nursing)they both liked to hold hands to go to sleep

My youngest though is a twiddle addict. I don't mind if he is doing it gently but sometimes when he is tired or over tired he does it very aggressively and it's painful! He is not satisfied to "hold hands" In fact he gets mad if I remove his other hand.

I have heard (as previously mentioned) that it's instinct to help with let down so I try to grin and bear it especially if he is tired.

Julie
    Brendan 7yrs
    Clare 4yrs
    Evan 18 months

My dd is 16mths she does it sometimes; she is more addicted to sticking her finger in my belly button. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sara

When nursing side-by-side, my son can practically spin all the way around without breaking a latch. It's like he does the alligator death-roll when he eats. When he's not spinning, he likes to stick his hands in my mouth, or up my nose. . .

My 13m will twiddle if my other breast is exposed. usually when we nurse lying down, in the morning. i found if i cover up she pets my chest instead.