Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reassurance?

Default reassurance?

Hello All,

Perhaps what I need is just some reassurance so I thought I'd come here because you ladies are great!

My LO is almost 6 mon old. She's been EBF until I returned to work when she was 3 mon old. Up until recently, I've been able to get 4 oz or more everytime I pumped when I was at work and if I gave her a bottle. Recently, its' been dipping slightly where I sometimes only get 3-3.5 oz. So is my supply decreasing or am I getting used to the pump? Also, she now takes 5 oz with every bottle so I pump an extra time after she eats for the last time (so around 10PM) at which time I get about 2-2.5 oz and I know it's normal to have less at night.

When I'm home, I breastfeed her. She appears to be satisfied when she pulls off and she usually only does one breast per feed. And she still seems to have adequate number of wet diapers. We just happened to have to take her to the pediatrician to have her skin evaluated and she had gained 5 oz in two weeks...is that adequate for a breastfed baby at this age?

I'm going to try changing the membranes to see if it makes any difference. Do you think my baby is getting enough when I just breastfeed her?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: reassurance?

I wouldn't worry too much but I would check your pump and replace the membranes. Depending on the pump and how frequently you are using it it is probably time. As for the increasing amount in the bottles is there a reason that you have increased the amount that you are giving her? Breastfed babies don't need to increase significantly the amount that they eat over time becuase the composition of BM changes based on the age of your baby. this link has more info.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

This is so common...Babies generally do better BF, and the concerns about intake and such are not a problem until you introduce the pump. It's not a BFing problem; it's a pumping problem. Check your pump out, replacing the membranes and valves. Make sure you are doing breast compressions. Add in a session if you have to. And maybe switch nipples on your bottles; over time, the hole gets bigger and lets out more milk with each suck, letting baby have more and more milk at one sitting that they really don't need. You can make it through; it just sounds like you need a couple tweaks.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much but I would check your pump and replace the membranes. Depending on the pump and how frequently you are using it it is probably time. As for the increasing amount in the bottles is there a reason that you have increased the amount that you are giving her? Breastfed babies don't need to increase significantly the amount that they eat over time becuase the composition of BM changes based on the age of your baby. this link has more info.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html
    Thanks ladies...I have changed the membranes and it was about the same...but now I've also come down with a cold so now I need to make sure I stay well hydrated. According to your link my baby has just slowly increased to the high end of average for the amt of oz she needs per feed. She seems to want it. My baby will not eat when she doesn't want too...she's pretty stubborn. So I guess I'll just have to add more pumping sessions...I've made it to my first goal of breastfeeding her to at least 6 mon so I'm happy about that...but now I'd love to make it to 1 year!

A cold will affect your supply

Check your bottles too. When I start feeling like I can't keep up, that's usually part of the problem. I just ordered a whole bunch of new ones.

You can do it! Around 6 months is usually a little slump, and then there's a bigger slump at 9 months, just so you know and can be prepared (so you won't feel like you are going crazy!).
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!