Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OALD or food sensitivity, opinions?

Default OALD or food sensitivity, opinions?

I am a FTM, my DS will be 7 weeks this fri and is EBF and practically lives on my breast. He is on zantac for acid reflux (he spits up very often, but even more often "silent" refluxes which fluids come up to the back of his throat and he swallows it back down) and he is extremely gassy (which I believe has led to the acid reflux). His BM's are sometimes green toned and sometimes what I presume to be the "normal" yellow tone, but it has appeared to be watery and slimy (snot like) with very few seeds if any, I showed a diaper to the dr ans he said its normal, but still looks weird to me, and smells rather sour (has since DS was 2 wks. Anywho, I do believe I have a forceful letdown because it is painful and he chokes gasps and pulls off and jumps back on often during letdown and I have multiple per feeding. As I mentioned earlier, his poop is sour smelling and this along with the slim makes me wonder if it is food related, I have become so overwhelmed with what I should cut out and what is ok that I dont feel like I am eating healthy at all. Another thing is I have read that a rash around the anus can be a sensitivity/allergy and he does have red around his but not an angry red and I dont know if this is a rash or just natural colloring. Above everything his gas seems to give him the most trouble. I have gone to kellymom.com for OALD advice, I do block feed as well. any opinions? Im sure oald is main cause, but should I be concerned with food sensitivity too?

Default Re: OALD or food sensitivity, opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alza84 View Post
    I am a FTM, my DS will be 7 weeks this fri and is EBF and practically lives on my breast. He is on zantac for acid reflux (he spits up very often, but even more often "silent" refluxes which fluids come up to the back of his throat and he swallows it back down) and he is extremely gassy (which I believe has led to the acid reflux). His BM's are sometimes green toned and sometimes what I presume to be the "normal" yellow tone, but it has appeared to be watery and slimy (snot like) with very few seeds if any, I showed a diaper to the dr ans he said its normal, but still looks weird to me, and smells rather sour (has since DS was 2 wks. Anywho, I do believe I have a forceful letdown because it is painful and he chokes gasps and pulls off and jumps back on often during letdown and I have multiple per feeding. As I mentioned earlier, his poop is sour smelling and this along with the slim makes me wonder if it is food related, I have become so overwhelmed with what I should cut out and what is ok that I dont feel like I am eating healthy at all. Another thing is I have read that a rash around the anus can be a sensitivity/allergy and he does have red around his but not an angry red and I dont know if this is a rash or just natural colloring. Above everything his gas seems to give him the most trouble. I have gone to kellymom.com for OALD advice, I do block feed as well. any opinions? Im sure oald is main cause, but should I be concerned with food sensitivity too?
    I can't offer any advice as I'm going through the EXACT same thing. It's like you've been at my house!! I am going to see a LC because I know I have OALD and OS. Not sure this is my only problem, but it's a start. I'll try to keep you posted as I find things out. One doc told me the slime or mucous could be due to the swallowing of mucous from their noses. Said it wasn't unusual for some of the reflux to go into their noses and make them stuffy...thus the mucous. Not 100% sold that's what's causing the issues, but maybe it could?

But I've read that reflux could be caused by a food allergy! So round and round I go. Good luck and maybe someone else can actually help!!

BTW, to help with DD's rash, Triple Paste works better than anything else I have used! Maybe it will work for your son?

I know this is frustrating but so many issues have the same symptoms. You sort of need to try one thing at a time and see where it gets you. So work on the OALD, get your supply in order and if that doesn't help try an elimination diet. Or block feed and do an elimination diet to be sure and once all is good do some testing to see if you can add foods back in. I hate to say it but it took me months to get it all under control, not perfect, just under control.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

GAmom- Thanks, I will also let you if I find out anything. I'm sorry you and your LO are going through this too.

kst.7399- yes it is very difficult to differentiat and so many things seam to have the same symptoms, I'm also sorry you and your LO have/had to deal with this as well. I cut out dairy and soy, then reintroduced both when ped said he didn't think it was from sensitivity- DS appeared a lil more gassy after so I cut out dairy again, I had a piece of bread that I found out after I ate had passionate (a milk protein)- but it has been 4 days since then and he seems worse not better. I do eat a good bit of oatmeal and wonder if I should stop that, it is really the on thing that I eat everyday (1-3 times/day), or if I should try to cut out soy first or both at same time.
    This truly has consumed me because I want to make DS feel better and I haven't fig it out yet- I do understand that it may take some time though.

(also dealing with very sore nipples, skin is even tender outside the areola- I was/am worried I may have yeast because of occasional shooting pains (I have very uncomfortable let down, however the shooting pains are only here and there) and very pink/raw nipples but Ob looked at them and and said they were fine just raw since he pulls back, clicks and all that fun stuff that comes with OALD- but he didn't ask me about pain or discomfort or any symptoms, just said they looked fine- so ofcourse I'm still concerned)

Sorry for such long posts.
    Last edited by @llli*alza84; September 22nd, 2011 at 05:46 AM.

You poor thing. Whoever said breastfeeding was a beautiful natural thing must have been a man with no children. It's such hard work. But isn't everything worth having hard work? I think so. And breastfeeding is one of the greatest gifts you can give your child.

It sounds like you have done your research and know what's going on. Now only time will tell. Give the dairy some time. It can take up to 6 weeks to clear your system. I might ask to be treated for thrush as a precautionary. It couldn't hurt and can only make things better. How bad is your oversupply? That would cause gassiness too. I say cut the soy. Again, what's the worst that can happen? And the best is that it would make your son feel better.

As for the pediatrician. In my experience they know little to nothing about breastfeeding and specifically intolerances. Day after day I read stories here about "my Pedi said" and am appalled. Trust your instincts. You are with your baby everyday and are the expert.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alza84 View Post
    I am a FTM, my DS will be 7 weeks this fri and is EBF and practically lives on my breast. He is on zantac for acid reflux (he spits up very often, but even more often "silent" refluxes which fluids come up to the back of his throat and he swallows it back down) and he is extremely gassy (which I believe has led to the acid reflux). His BM's are sometimes green toned and sometimes what I presume to be the "normal" yellow tone, but it has appeared to be watery and slimy (snot like) with very few seeds if any
    Sounds so similar to what I've been through with my LO! She only had the textbook "yellow mustard seedy poops" for the first month. Since then they've been watery, slimy, mucousy, green, brown, sometimes yellow again, then curdled, then porridge-like... For what it's worth, in my experience, it did help to change my diet. Even though she doesn't have the other symptoms of a "classic" milk allergy (no eczema or breathing symptoms), I think she has a very sensitive digestive system, and once I cut certain things she became much less gassy, less spitty, and the mucus in her poops diminished considerably (although never went away completely). Here's what I did:

- Cut out dairy, soy, gluten, tree nuts and peanuts, and eggs
    - Her poop really cleared out after a few weeks
    - After four weeks I reintroduced all of these things except for dairy, one at a time, and observed that nuts, soy, and gluten trigger the green mucousy poops

I didn't even try to reintroduce dairy yet. I've been on this diet for about four months now. With gluten, as with dairy, you have to be very vigilant of labels and ingredients. There's gluten in everything! And regular oats/oatmeal are not gluten-free, you need to get certified gluten-free oats.

As PP said, pediatricians really don't know much about this. My pedi swore to me the only documented sensitivities in breastmilk are to soy and dairy, and encouraged me to eat the other stuff. But I can SEE what happens to my baby's tummy and poops when I eat those other things! It's not easy cutting out the foods but there are many resources and alternatives, and once you see the improvement in baby it is very rewarding. Check out the nutrition/food allergies forum here for more info.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    You poor thing. Whoever said breastfeeding was a beautiful natural thing must have been a man with no children.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Thank you kst.739 and kmanih.

Hearing that breastfeeding is natural and easy makes me feel like I am doing something wrong, but my little man has gained wieght well (1lb/week from week 2-5) so I at least know that he is getting what he needs, now on to discovering what is aggravating his tummy. thank u for the recommendation on the diet, I get overwhelmed by trying to figure out what to eat even without cutting all of that out so I will def have to look at the nutrition forum. I do have the all purpose nipple cream that I need to start using more often and hopefully that will help some and maybe act as a preventative, I'm terrified of yeast and feel for anyone who has had to deal with it especially with a LO. I have just ordered some probiotics for me and DS, I figure that might help balance some things out in his Digestive system. My OS seems to not be too much of an OS anymore but now just a rather forceful letdown or at least too forceful for him.

If it's any comfort, I've had the shooting pains you've described...some almost feel like they go back to nearly under my arms! I wondered if I had a yeast infection myself, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse. The pattern I've noticed is the more full I am, the worse it is and the harder the let down. You mentioned probiotics...what kind? I wasn't sure if I could take these while nursing, but I know I've always felt better when I took them in the past. Glad to know I can restart!! FYI...not that I encourage eating junky stuff like french fries, but when you have a three year old, sometimes it happen. However, I did find an article that stated there was milk products in McDonald's french fries a few years ago. Plus, a lot of fast food places use soy products while cooking...so be on the look out when you eat out. Not sure if McDonald's made any changes or not, but I know there were some lawsuits against them for not revealing these allergens to the public. Still kind of new at all of this, but I am learning more and more, and thought I'd share.