Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Increasing milk supply

Default Increasing milk supply

Hello I'm returning to work so I bought the mothers love milk pills. Just wondering if I should take them since I have a fast let down?

Default Re: Increasing milk supply

Before you start with supplements, you want to figure out if you really need them. Since fast letdowns are often connected to an oversupply of milk, you might want to hold off on taking the pills until you have been back at work for a bit and can judge whether or not you are getting the necessary amount of milk. I am guessing you've already started pumping a bit- so, how much milk do you currently get when you pump?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I am getting 4 oz every time I pump... Don't know if it's enough
    Also do you know if it's normal to feed my baby and to spit up and then want to eat again...

4 oz is really good. In fact I had oversupply/ overactive letdown and would get 4-5 oz when pumping. I would avoid supplements.

The spitting up could just be normal baby spitting. Or the fact that you make a lot of milk could be causing OALD. Do you spray really forcefully when you letdown? I did and it caused my baby tummy troubles. He's 8 months old now, so he can handle it better. Again, taking herbs for supply will make this worse.

4 oz is actually rather a lot. IIRC, a typical amount to pump is around 1.5 oz per hour- and that's when you're not nursing first. So if you got 4 oz after nursing, that is a whole lotta milk!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

So if I pump 4 -5 oz, do I have OS?

Not necessarily. It depends on when you pump that 4-5 oz. If it was from your first session of the morning, and the rest of your sessions yielded 1-3 oz, that would be pretty typical. But it every session yields 4-5 oz, or you can routinely get 4-5 oz after nursing your baby, then that could point to oversupply.

A better gauge than pumping is probably the baby: if his/her poops are consistently green, or if he/she seems to struggle with your letdowns (coughing, choking, gagging, spluttering, making a clicking/clucking sound, clamping down on the nipple), then you might have a problematic oversupply. But if you're seeing mostly yellow poops and the baby isn't struggling to nurse, then if you do have oversupply it probably isn't bad enough to be a problem.