Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: start backup with breastfeeding.

Default start backup with breastfeeding.

I need help in starting back up with breastfeeding. I exclusively breastfeed my son ( born 11/1/11) for 3 months. We went on vacation and used formula while we were there. When we returned, I couldn't get him back on the breast so we stayed with formula. He is 6 months now and because of financial reasons I want to start breastfeeding again. I have a pump and want to get back to at least 3 bottles a day of breastmilk.

I want to know the best way to start producing milk again. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Default Re: start backup with breastfeeding.

I took domperidone it worked wonders and started pumping every 2hr for 15-20 min...pump even if nothing comes out.

If he will nurse, nurse as much as he will and pump a lot. If he won't, pump with a hospital grade pump (sorry, the pump you have probably wont cut it if you have a professional grade pump or less, but you can rent one for about $50). Make sure you have the right sized horns. Pump 8-12 times a day for 120 minutes. Give it some weeks.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    If he will nurse, nurse as much as he will and pump a lot. If he won't, pump with a hospital grade pump (sorry, the pump you have probably wont cut it if you have a professional grade pump or less, but you can rent one for about $50). Make sure you have the right sized horns. Pump 8-12 times a day for 120 minutes. Give it some weeks.
    What she said. A lot of moms think that the key to increasing supply has to be an herb or a medication, and while those things can be quite helpful nothing is as good as frequent stimulation from either a nursing baby or a high-quality pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"