Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how should I do this??

Default how should I do this??

Hello all,
    I have an almost 5 week daughter named Grace. Our nursing relationship started out nicely and then at her one week checkup I was told to supplement a little with formula after nursing (1 to 2 oz) because she had not gained all of her birth weight back. She was 5.12 oz at birth, went down to 5.5 by the time we left the hospital and had gone back up to 5.8 at her one week checkup. I was also told to limit her time on each breast to 10 minutes because she would get so sleepy. In retrospect, I feel it was jumping the gun to supplement with formula..and it really didn't do anything for my self confidence in the nursing department!

Here is our issue to date..in addition to that problem, she also came down wirh RSV and during that time she did not nurse effectively and I had to also give her my expressed breast milk as well as formula..again my supply diminished. She is now getting well and the good news is she has a wonderful latch from what I can tell and is still interested in nursing. The problem is, my milk supply is low. I am nursing as much as possible and also pumping and would like to get her off of ALL supplements of formula. She gets really mad when I try to wean her off the formula, though (she gets about 12 oz a day now). I just feel this is a vicious cycle and I don't know what to do at this point..my self confidence is totally shaken and I am very upset about the prospect of totally drying up! I am also taking the supplement More Milk in hopes that it will help. I was able to pump 2 oz an hour after nursing her this morning..I nursed her a second time and then pumped an hour later and only got 15 ccs that time. What can I do??
    Tiffany

Default Re: how should I do this??

I'm sorry that you are struggling and that your confidence has been shaken. Let's see what we can do to help restore that confidence! Please know that mother's who have never even given birth can induce lactation and mother's who've stopped nursing altogether can exclusively breastfeed once again. So, for you the outlook is bright since you've never stopped nursing at all!

The basis of breast milk supply is supply and demand. The more your baby demands, the more your body will make. Take away the demand and the less your body will make. So, in order to increase your supply you need to increase the demand (by stimulating your breasts more). The most effective way to do this is to nurse more frequently. When you nurse baby, nurse on both sides and then switch her back to the first side. The good news is, you never run out of milk! Your body is continuously making it. You may also want to try pumping for 10-20 minutes in between nursing sessions (try to nurse every 2 hours) and you may also want to try a supplemental nursing system like the SNS by Medela or the Lact-Aid. These are devices that allow you to supplement at the breast, thereby allowing more breast stimulation.

You may want to get in touch with one of your local LLL leaders for support and information during this time and/or work closely with an IBCLC.

Other's should be along soon to share their experiences with you. I wish you the best!

Thanks Carol! Do you think I should I try and cut down the formula a little now? I am planning on just staying in bed with her this weekend and doing a marathon nursing weekend. I wish I could start today, but it's hard with 2 other little ones!

I will see if I still have my SNS from when my son was an infant..I had totally forgotten about that! Thanks so much

You can try to cut out a bit of formula a little bit at a time. Perhaps 1/2 - 1 oz. per day. Keep a very close eye on baby's wet diaper output though! You may also want to have her weight checked weekly.

The general rule of thumb for those who've stopped nursing altogether and wish to relactate is that it'll take you as many days to rebuild your supply as baby has been away from the breast. So, for example if mom hasn't nursed baby in 5 weeks she can estimate it taking her 5 weeks to rebuild her supply to the point of where it was 5 weeks ago. Make sense? And since you haven't ever stopped nursing, it really shouldn't take you all that long to get your supply up to where baby needs it to be. She may not even need all 12 oz. of formula at this point. But like I said, cut it out slowly and keep a very close eye on her wet diaper output. When babies hit about 6 weeks old, poopy diaper output isn't all that reliable because many breastfed babies stop going all the time around 6 weeks old. You may even find that with more breastmilk she'll poop less often

Good luck and keep us posted okay? I'm glad you've got an SNS from your son -- that's very convenient!!

Just wanted to encourage you! You are doing a great job breastfeeding your dd! Keep it up! Britan