Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looking for help with my 1 week old.

Unhappy Looking for help with my 1 week old.

We have gotten off to a rocky breastfeeding relationship. He is fussy at the breast and won't always latch right on. He'll stars sucking, then pull off crying. Sometimes he'll suckle, but won't be latched on and I'll feel him almost roll the nipple into position, but that doesn't always happen either. He will only take one side for about 10 min every 2-3 hrs, then he falls asleep. I've tried everything, but he usually won't take both sides.

Nighttime is our worst time. Starting at 10 or so, he will scream unconsolably for hours, refusing to nurse at all. I don't schedule feed him, and nurse on demand, but for some reason he won't do it at all at night. I was so engorged last night that I had to pump, and then I fed him the pumped milk from a bottle, and he took it fine, as I sat there crying. This is my third baby, and I nursed my other two, and can't imagine not nursing him, but it's really starting to upset me.

Any suggestions/advice? He is gaining weight, and having plenty of wet/dirty diapers and I have plenty of milk, so I just can't figure out what the issue could be. Thanks for reading my novel.

Default Re: Looking for help with my 1 week old.

Congratulations on your baby! To me it sounds like you might have a forceful/overactive letdown. Very common. I had it myself. My son would pull off and cry but then still act like he wanted to nurse. I know it's frustrating and hard to see your baby so upset. Have you tried nursing him in a more upright position? You can also try expressing some milk into a towel before nursing him in order to bypass the letdown. Does he also gulp and choke at all? Hang in there mama. This too shall pass
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Congratulations on the new baby! Do you have a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, available to you? When you have a latch issue with a newborn, nothing beats hands-on help. I am that what you are experiencing could be related to a forceful letdown, but There are alternate possibilities that should be explored, so I wouldn't necessarily treat this as a letdown issue yet.

Some questions for you:
    - when baby unlatches, do you ever see milk squirt or stream from the breast?
    - does the baby ever make any spluttering, coughing, choking, gagging, clicking, or clucking noises?
    - are you frequently feeling full or engorged?
    - are you leaking a lot?
    - what color are the baby's poops?
    - how does nursing feel? Is it at all painful?
    - are you getting any cracks, blisters, or scabs on the nipple?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The only taking one side doesn't bother me. But the refusal to nurse, during a prime fussy period, does have me concerned. But Mommal has some good questions....
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

Some questions for you:
    - when baby unlatches, do you ever see milk squirt or stream from the breast?
    - does the baby ever make any spluttering, coughing, choking, gagging, clicking, or clucking noises?
    - are you frequently feeling full or engorged?
    - are you leaking a lot?
    - what color are the baby's poops?
    - how does nursing feel? Is it at all painful?
    - are you getting any cracks, blisters, or scabs on the nipple?
    I do have a pretty good letdown, and have been engorged for the past few days. I pumped a bit last night, and he took the breast last night with minimal fussing, so I was thrilled.

His poops are yellow and seedy, which the lactation consultant that I spoke with yesterday said that was good.

Nursing was painful in the beginning, but has gotten much better. No pain at all, and nipples are fine.

I tried nursing in the laid-back nursing position yesterday, and he seemed to really like that. A couple of times I had to walk with him to get him to latch on, but last night was the best night we've had so far.

It's been 8 years since I've nursed (my daughter weaned at 2.5-she's now 10) and I have totally forgotten how difficult the beginning is. When will it get easier??? LOL

Thanks for answering those questions, mama! I think momtodom09 hit the nail on the head right away- what you're experiencing really does sound like it could be a letdown issue. Frequent engorgement often means a high supply, and high supply often generates fast letdowns. Imagine trying to drink your meal from a firehouse- of course that makes the baby fussy! If fast letdowns are the problem, it's a good idea to avoid the pump, since pumping generally increases your milk supply and the more milk you have the faster the letdowns occur. This link may be useful to you: http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

I also suggest checking out this one, on nighttime fussiness: http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html. It talks about babies wanting to nurse all the time in the evening, and you're having the opposite issue, but in my experience that is one way babies express their evening fussiness. The calming techniques at the bottom of the linked page still work.

It will get easier, mama! Both my girsl were horrible evening screamers and they outgrew it by 3 months.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"