Re: Looking for help with my 1 week old.
Congratulations on the new baby! Do you have a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, available to you? When you have a latch issue with a newborn, nothing beats hands-on help. I am that what you are experiencing could be related to a forceful letdown, but There are alternate possibilities that should be explored, so I wouldn't necessarily treat this as a letdown issue yet.
Some questions for you:
- when baby unlatches, do you ever see milk squirt or stream from the breast?
- does the baby ever make any spluttering, coughing, choking, gagging, clicking, or clucking noises?
- are you frequently feeling full or engorged?
- are you leaking a lot?
- what color are the baby's poops?
- how does nursing feel? Is it at all painful?
- are you getting any cracks, blisters, or scabs on the nipple?
Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"