Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wanting to wean nap time feed

Default Wanting to wean nap time feed

I am 29 weeks pregnant and my son is turning three in November. He is still bf 3 times a day - when he wakes up, to go down for his nap in the afternoon and before bed time in the evenings.

The feed I am struggling the most with is the one for his nap in the afternoon. Most days it works beautifully he goes down to sleep really quickly. But there are some days when it takes a long time for him to fall asleep and I get frustrated and if he doesn't fall asleep I feel used and angry.

I was originally hoping that I could keep feeding him to sleep during his nap because it's hard to get him down without feeding, especially at nap time. At night we have got to the point of nursing him before he gets in to bed and lying with him a bit and then leaving some music playing and going out the room and he falls asleep on his own - sometimes he even asks me to leave, which is all great. But we are no where near that at nap time.

I stopped feeding him to sleep at night in January and it has taken this long to get us to that point at night. A couple of times (months ago) he skipped the evening feed and then it was so much harder to get him to settle down to go to sleep. During the day he's much more on the go and winding down seems like it would take forever without a feed and I don't know how I'm going to go through a long routine when the new baby comes. I'm contemplating dropping his nap altogether (not ideal with another baby coming!), or trying some kind of other winding down things or continuing bf him to sleep with some other options for the days it doesn't work. Part of me wants to just stop bf altogether at this point but that doesn't solve the nap time issue. Suggestions are welcome please!

Default Re: Wanting to wean nap time feed

My son just turned three in August and he nurses pretty similiarly. If I am gone he will take a nap for others but if I am home he wants to nurse to sleep. I am on the go a lot so one thing we do is run around until he falls asleep in the car then I move him into his bed. I have wanted to cut out his naps also but if he doesn't get one he is so cranky. Do you have any help with child care maybe if you could occasionally have someone else watch him he good get used to not needing to nurse to sleep and then you develop a routine where you read books and sing before nap time. I am sure your situation is a lot more complicated being so far along in you pregnancy hopefully someone else will have some better ideas.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

Default Re: Wanting to wean nap time feed

Thanks Romeroke! That is a good suggestion to have someone else put him down for his nap. I don't have access to anyone who could do that but a week before the next baby is due my mom is going to come and stay with me, although that is a bit late to start with something like that! Sadly my son has not had a nap this week yet. We both have thrush and he is recovering from a cold so it may have something to do with that. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.