Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: biting

Default biting

My 7.5 month old has had 2 teeth for a few weeks now. He hasn't really bitten me yet, just little grazes when he is half asleep. /today he has bitten me 3 times. They are prposeful and hard ond hurt like crazy. He stops sucking, pulls back, and chomps on the tip of my nipple. The first time he did it, I sort of screached and said "that hurts mommy." He looked contrite, so I let him nurse again and he almost immediately bit me. I had to pry his jaws loose and told him that it hurts (I had a very stern voice and face, I was in a lot of pain). He just smiled and sort of giggled. I decided he was done eating. The next feeding, at the end, he looks up at me and smiles, I smile back and he chomps down hard. I again say in a stern voice that it hurts me and he again giggles. I stopped feeding him and he is now happily playing.
    He has been pinching me a lot lately too, on the arms if he isn't nursin (when I am holding him while we are doing something). If we are nursing, he has been stopping and lovingly patting my breast and then grabbing the nipple with the tips of his fingers and sqeezing, he even tenses his whole body to get the squeeze good and intense. It would be funny to watch if it didn't hurt so much. Everytime he does these things, I have been saying that it hurts mommy and moving his hand or getting him distracted. He doesn't do any pinching and such to anyone else, just me. How do I stop these behaviors before I am black and b;ue? I would really like to continue to have a pleasant BFing experience with my son.
    Thanks in advance.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Default Re: biting

Oh I feel your pain... DS was a pincher, it took consistency and a little while to get him to quit. Everytime he does it move his hands and tell him no, that it hurts. End the session as you have been doing if he does not stop.

As for the bititng, the advice I was given was this... when he bites, push his face into your breast so that his nose is covered. He will not be able to breath and will let loose. Now only do this for second, it only takes a second for him to let go. Do it each and every time he bites. I was a bit leary, then my 11 month old decided to bite me. It happened during 2 nursing sessions, multiple times of biting. OH man it hurt. But he hasnt done it since. He got the message loud and clear.

Not sure how others have done it but this worked for me. Good luck!!

I guess that DS has been squeezing others. He does it to my husband's lips apparently. Makes the intense - squeezing so hard he is shaking - move with him too. DH said he can't help himself and laughs at him. I told him about setting him down for a minute or so and he said it sounded sort of like a time out. I guess it sort of is. We have decided not to laugh at the squeezing and to work on the biting ASAP. DH is worried he will start squeezing and biting the kids at daycare and he will get kicked out so we need to nip it in the bud right now. Thanks for the advice. He bit me again last night (well at 5:00 which I thought was night and he thought was morning ) and that was I think because I was trying not to pay attention to him so that he would go back to sleep and he wanted my attention. I broke off his latch (well toothy grip on the edge of my nipple) and set him down. He wasn't happy about that. I didn't push him into me because my instinct isn't to hold him closer, it is to get him away, but I didn't make a noise, just said "no, that hurts" and put him down.

DS since 1/30/11

Thank you for your help. I realized he is starting to teeth and that was probably where the biting came from. He only did it a few times after that. We are working on giving him something else to occupy his hands when he starts "pinching"

DS since 1/30/11