Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: None stop breastfeeding at night

Default None stop breastfeeding at night

Hi,

I am new to the forum and I'm hoping that there are mum's out there who have been there, as I feel like I'm the only one in the world going through this.

My DD is just over 2.5 yrs old. Exclusively breastfed. She has been a very demanding little girl. She is happy to sit and suckle all day long. It is her favourite thing to do.

At 12 months I could deal with it, and I was told it would pass, but it has only got worse. The daytimes I can deal with as she goes to nursery twice a week and playgroups.

But the nights... We co-sleep as she was very ill until a year ago (found out she had allergies) . She has her own room and her own bed, but wants only to sleep with mummy. (I have a double mattress on the floor by her bed). She can only go to sleep on the nipple. She will NOT sleep if it isnt there. (We have tried and it has been unbearable for me). She sleeps solid for 2 hours than wakes and suckles on me all night.

She climbs over me every 5 minutes moving from the left breast to the right all night long. We both get no sleep. If I remove my nipple from her mouth, she wakes immediately and starts to demand "my booby". She even shouts at me to move my arm away.

If she does sleep and move away I get out of the bed and move to my own room, but then she wakes and starts crying for mummy.

I've tried talking to her about it, giving alternatives, such as "lets just cuddle instead". But she refuses to acknowledge me and will not discuss it. It's getting worse as she gets older. Breastfeeding her as a newborn was easier!!!

Her father (my OH) is not happy with this arrangement. But I see no way out, I'm so tired. She goes to sleep anywhere between 7-9 and is up at 4:30-5:00 every morning. I've tried dropping her naps (no help she's sleep deprived as it is) and when she naps its between 2-3 hours, suckling on me.

Does anyone have any advice or has been there? I know it won't last forever, but I am unable to function. I'm in bed with her at 7 everynight and up at 4:30 with her.

(I must add, her father works long hours and she doesn't see him much. He is an 'old-fashioned' person, who does not get involved with any of the care).

TIA

xx

Default Re: None stop breastfeeding at night

I wish I had some advice. My son just turned a year and last night reached a breaking point. I asked my husband to take him to another room and let me sleep. My son doesn't only want to nurse, but he isn't sleeping or he's completely active in his sleep. I was hoping it would get better soon, but seeing that your daughter is 2.5 I guess I'm in for the long haul. I'm sorry I can't help. All I have to offer is that you're not alone. And a
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Default Re: None stop breastfeeding at night

I have not been through this but I think some mommas have had good results with Dr. Jay Gordon's nightweaning method.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting