Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoyed at work

Default Annoyed at work

I just need to vent guys..

I work in a large hospital with only one "lactation room." In order to access this lactation room you have to go to security and get a key. If security is closed, you have to page with an inhouse phone and someone will show up and let you in.

Only having 1 room is problematic in itself because its almost always occupied. And this place is so big that it is impossible to create a schedule among all mama's (plus I work a rotating shift so my schedule is unpredictable).

Then when I go to the security office there is always a huge line of people that have to get their ID badges registered which takes quite a bit of time when you don't have much time to wait. I even tried the "Oh I just need the lactation key" and was repsonded with "You need to wait in line!" And when it is my turn she will pick up a key RIGHT NEXT TO HER and give it to me. Why couldn't she just do that when I aksed in the 1st place!

Then after hours I page security and it takes 15-20 minutes for them to show up. I saw an officer walking and I asked if he could let me in and he said only the supervisor can do that and he is at lunch so I will have to wait.

The problem is that I CANT wait because I only have 20 minutes to do a 15 minute pump! If I wait the 20 minutes for Mr Supervisor to chow on a sandwich or Ms Supervisor to help other people before just giving me the key then my break is over and I have to go back to work without pumping!

My department coworkers are trying to be supportive but many of them don't have kids and none of them understand breastfeeding in general. It is getting aggravating! It should not be THIS difficult to pump at work- especially since this is the place where I gave birth as well!
    July 27 2011

Default Re: Annoyed at work

Check out this link, Key notes are : "President Obama signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, H.R. 3590, on March 23 and the Reconciliation Act of 2010, H.R. 4872, on March 30, 2010. (See the combined full text of Public Laws 111-148 and 111-152 here.) Among many provisions, Section 4207 of the law amends the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) of 1938 (29 U.S. Code 207) to require an employer to provide reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for one year after the child's birth each time such employee has need to express milk. The employer is not required to compensate an employee receiving reasonable break time for any work time spent for such purpose. The employer must also provide a place, other than a bathroom, for the employee to express breast milk. If these requirements impose undue hardship, an employer that employs fewer than 50 employees is not subject to these requirements. The federal requirements shall not preempt a state law that provides greater protections to employees."

I checked and MI has no other laws related to the workplace (neither does OH) You might want to check out this link though, as it provides a phone # that you could maybe call to seek support in trying to get changes made to the existing lactation room and schedule at your work.

Also, could you maybe pump in your car?
    Last edited by @llli*rdh2378; September 23rd, 2011 at 08:01 AM.
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

Is there anywhere else you could pump? That would drive me nuts!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

While you are trying to work this out, I would suggest you start keeping a log of your pumping breaks, i.e., how long did it take you to get the key, was the room available, etc. If you know other moms who are pumping you might ask them to do the same. Having clear, written evidence of your difficulties will support you case.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    I'd use my own pump in a supply closet or call room. The room being occupied wouldn't bother me, but having to jump through so many hoops just to get in the room would get on my nerves.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

That sounds so frustrating. have you made a complaint to HR or hospital administration? It sounds like by making a few simple procedural changes (like changing it to an electronic lock with a code only given to nursing mothers or something that makes it easier for you to access the room in a timely fashion) some of the issues could be improved. Otherwise, I think I'd just pump in my car and listen to an audiobook.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!
    I doubt they will upgrade to a key pad lock or even a badge-swipe lock because I guess the hospital is looking to save money. We don't have any kind of lock for our department (which is ran 24 hours) and security refuses to give us one to "save money."

But I always pump on the way to work in the car and it never occured to me to pump in my car during my shift! I have been trying that and it works out wonderfully. It is so much more relaxing too! Thanks Guys!
    July 27 2011

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zorkycharlemagne View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!
    I doubt they will upgrade to a key pad lock or even a badge-swipe lock because I guess the hospital is looking to save money. We don't have any kind of lock for our department (which is ran 24 hours) and security refuses to give us one to "save money."

But I always pump on the way to work in the car and it never occured to me to pump in my car during my shift! I have been trying that and it works out wonderfully. It is so much more relaxing too! Thanks Guys!
    In the meantime, it can't hurt to ask them to upgrade the keypad. Maybe cite the wasted time in waiting - the costs involved in paying staff for standing around waiting. I'm sure would justify the cost in payroll savings. Keep pushing because winter is coming and cars get cold.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Wow, that sounds totally frustrating! What a pain that they're making you wait in line, rediculous! Maybe you could discuss it with someone in the security office? Maybe if you came up with a plan and sat down with someone to discuss it. If that doesn't work, maybe a letter up 'through the ranks' making suggestions. Is there a way they can give each nursing mother her own key card? Or have them kept at a 24 hr manned station (maybe a nurses station) near the room. It's great that they have a room, but not so useful if it's not available or it takes so long to access it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    This is what I was going to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    While you are trying to work this out, I would suggest you start keeping a log of your pumping breaks, i.e., how long did it take you to get the key, was the room available, etc. If you know other moms who are pumping you might ask them to do the same. Having clear, written evidence of your difficulties will support you case.
    Thats a great idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    In the meantime, it can't hurt to ask them to upgrade the keypad. Maybe cite the wasted time in waiting - the costs involved in paying staff for standing around waiting. I'm sure would justify the cost in payroll savings. Keep pushing because winter is coming and cars get cold.
    and not everyone feels comfortable pumping in their car.

Glad you found something that will work for you for now.