Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weight check

Default weight check

I hear a lot about weight checks on here. How often should I really be checking his weight? We had issues with low weight in the beginning, so I guess I'm paranoid now. But he seems to be ok in the diaper count. We don't see the ped for another 2 months, so should I wait until then to check his weight? My ds is 2 weeks old.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: weight check

I found it helpful to take my DS in every week or so in the first 5 weeks. I considered buying a sci. scale but the ped said I'd go crazy if I did and to just bring him in.

Default Re: weight check

Hi tbaby, and welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your new son!

I suspect if your pediatrician had any continuing concerns about your son's weight gain, s/he would have asked you to return for another weight check sooner than two months. If the diaper count is staying good and if you are confident that he is doing well, then I wouldn't advise you to worry about checking his weight regularly.

What we generally like to see, as one piece of evidence that breastfeeding is getting well established, is for a baby to regain his birth weight by the age of 2 weeks. Some various circumstances can interfere with that, however, so it is just a general guideline. To advise you further, I think we would need more details about your baby's weight check history and how the breastfeeding and diapers are looking. But like I said -- if your baby's doc is happy, chances are things are fine, and there is no need to have weight checks just because other mothers are talking about them.