Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teeth Care...

Default Teeth Care...

So my 7 month old is getting her first 2 teeth on the bottom. She is not very interested in solids at the time, so she's on about 99% BM. Should I be wiping her teeth off at all? What about when she starts eating solids more frequently? TIA!
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

Default Re: Teeth Care...

Everyone has different opinions but I'm really into oral hygiene and think that if teeth exist they should be cleaned! At her age I think wiping them with a washcloth is just fine. You can also get these little finger brushes that are really soft - you just put it on the tip of your finger and "brush." I also think it's important at an early age to get them used to having you in there so when you REALLY start brushing it's an easier transition. I can't remember when I started using a real (baby) toothbrush on DS but maybe around 1 year? But he was an early teether and had all of his teeth (including all four molars) by 22 months.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*worknpump View Post
    Everyone has different opinions but I'm really into oral hygiene and think that if teeth exist they should be cleaned! At her age I think wiping them with a washcloth is just fine. You can also get these little finger brushes that are really soft - you just put it on the tip of your finger and "brush." I also think it's important at an early age to get them used to having you in there so when you REALLY start brushing it's an easier transition. I can't remember when I started using a real (baby) toothbrush on DS but maybe around 1 year? But he was an early teether and had all of his teeth (including all four molars) by 22 months.
    I totally agree with all of this. Except that I wasn't as diligent about cleaning DS's teeth when he got them and he hates the toothbrush. My DS is 4yrs.

I use the tooth n gum cleanser with like this little rubber thing for my finger with bristles to 'brush' her teeth. Totally safe for babies. Plus it's banana flavored and she thinks it's a treat. I figure start early with the brushing habit so when she's older it isn't such a task...