Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need help with day vs night feedings.

Default need help with day vs night feedings.

I'm looking for advise from anyone who has had a similar experience. My 1 yr old is refusing to drink any fluids during the day while I am at work. His sitter can only get sips in ( we have tried all bottles and cups, as well as different drink choices). I think total he is only getting about 2 oz. When I get home, he will nurse 7-8 times. I'm ready to night-wean and just don't know how to since he will not drink during the day. I don't want him to dehydrate.....help!

Default Re: need help with day vs night feedings

How is he with solids? Since he is over a year old, nursing 3-4 times in a 24 hour period should be enough (if he is eating solids well). What time do you get home from work? Is it possible to nurse him in the morning before you go, as soon as you get home, once before his bedtime, and once more just before YOU go to bed? What drink choices have you tried? Have you tried water at the sitter's? Not drinking any fluids can turn into a problem, however no breastmilk during the day isn't a problem if you're making up for it in the evening. I wouldn't night wean just yet if he isn't drinking at the sitters
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

He eats solids well. I've tried warm/cold breastmilk, cow's milk, water, diluted juice, full-strength juice...all of it. We have tried all kinds of cups- I even special ordered a cup from England. I breastfeed at 5pm when I get home, 6:30pm after dinner, 7:15pm before bed, then 9pm, 11:30pm, 3am, and 5am during nighttime, I leave for work at 6:30 am.

It's great that he is eating solids well one less thing to worry about.
    If it were me, *I* would feel okay dropping the 3am feeding, and pushing the 5am feeding back to when you get up for the day. That would still insure that he's getting enough liquids. Once he starts drinking water during the day you can probably drop the 11:30 as well. Keep trying different cups (I'd go with water if it were me, perfect for hydrating during the day) until you find something he will take. My son liked the straw cups, as well as a plain open cup (and water works well when they are learning because it makes for easier clean up ) Will he take water from a spoon? or a medicine dropper? What about crushed ice to suck on? The pieces are small enough (one at a time) to swallow whole without gagging, or he could chew them up/suck on them
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

this makes me feel a little more confident. How should I go about dropping feedings? My son is a co-sleeper and my husband basically refuses to get up and help at night.

I still co-sleep with my 3.5 year old and I let him self wean so I didn't actively wean him myself. However, there is a great book other mama's have used on here called "The no cry sleep solution" which has a section on co-sleeping and is a very gentle way of night weaning Even if you can drop the 3am waking, you may feel okay to keep the rest for now. Not being woken up in the middle of the night makes for a better rested and therefore happier mama
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08