Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anybody weaned a 3 year old?

Default Re: Has anybody weaned a 3 year old?

We've gotten through two nights now! Last night, going to sleep was tougher than the first night but after he had a snack, he laid down and crashed next to me. The middle of the nights were just fine, which was a pleasant surprise! This morning, he got pretty upset about it but just decided to get up and play instead. Two whole days! I think we did it! It feels weird. I'm happy and excited, but starting to mourn a little.

Thanks everybody.
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion

Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Just signed up to this site. Reading this with interest. Sorry you're having such a tough time. I can relate to the powerful personality. My 21-month daughter used to be fine with her dad, but now gets so distressed and angry if she wants milk and he tries to comfort or distract her. I cannot bear her crying so hard - it breaks me - but he's starting to feel useless and like she doesn't love him so much. Really, they have a lovely relationship, but my husband's got long-term illness and I need (and want) some work time. We thought we had it so sorted, but now this incessant yowling for milk... Thinking about weaning. Trying to cut down. But, reading other women who've gone 2 or 3 years, I'm also still wanting her to self-wean.

You may want to start your own thread for ideas specific to you, but in general your DD may simply be going through a mommy only phase. What kind of things does DH do with her? Is he just watching her at night? You could night wean if that is the case.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Hey how did it go? I'm anxious to hear. My daughter sounds exactly like your son, same personality. She's almost 3 and I don't see an end in sight. Hope you're ok!
    Nursing my bug for almost 3 years YIKES!

I need advice too!

It went perfectly. The whole house helped and it only took 2 days. There were actually days that were months later (I think it's been around 4-5 months?) that were tougher than those first couple of days where he was hollering to nurse, which was funny because it was months later! These were very short lived and were easy to calm with a small snack. My husband really joined in and helped. We told him he was such a big boy, the milk was gone, and gave him the option of who to sleep with and where to sleep. We didn't budge at all, because with his intense personality, it's all or nothing. If I would have given in, it would have been a huge setback. It was very peaceful and loving and there were no/very little tears. We still talk about the milk and my "boo-boos" in a fond way. He remembers, and it's so sweet.

As mothers, we instinctually want to confort our kids however we can and have an issue being the source of their anguish. We also always think it's going to be worse than it ends up being. When I weaned my oldest off of the paci, potty trained, etc., I always thought it was going to be tougher than it was. If you are really ready to wean, make a plan and stick to it-when you look back on it, I truly believe you'll be amazed at how smoothly it went. And if it doesn't, you can always re-evaluate with a different plan or a later time. Best of luck!
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion

Thank you so much! Congrats on the weaning. Oh I bet you feel so free! I can only imagine. I just started my own thread because my situation is a little different than yours. OMG I hope there's an end in sight! COngrats agan!! I'm glad to hear it went well!