Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to work-- How often to pump?

Exclamation Returning to work-- How often to pump?

I am looking to increase my milk and get up a supply for my sons daycare provider for when I return to work. I have been pumping, but only seem to get about 2oz worth of milk a day. Does anyone have any recommendations of ways to get more milk stored during the day? How much should I be pumping per day?

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Returning to work-- How often to pum

Well, there's no set amount to pump. It varies from mom to mom, and when you have a well-regulated supply, it's difficult to pump any extra (which is a good thing, really, but inconvienient).

You do know you do NOT need a huge stash to go back to work with, right? You really just need a day or two to use while you settle into a pumping routine or in case you spill or drop a bottle (that will happen), and then you pump the next day's milk at work the day before. Friday's milk is saved for Monday.

Don't forget to check for lipase before storing any milk.

So, to save up probably 12-20 oz for those first few days at work, try pumping in the morning, as most moms have the most milk in the morning. Pump while nursing one side. Pump after feedings, as that stimulates your supply to make more. It's not an easy thing, and you may have to pump regularly for several days to start getting enough.

You can also start eating oatmeal or take some herbs, such as fenugreek, to stimulate your supply.

make sure you have a good pump. A cheap pump from X-mart isn't going to be able to do the job. A professional grade pump (Lansinoh, AMeda, Medela, Hygiea) is what you want. ETA: and the r ight sized horns. And breast compressions.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I went back to work on Monday. I started working on my stash a few weeks before I returned to work. I pumped twice a day, getting about 3 to 5 oz a day. Once in the morning and once In the evening. I was getting about In addition, I started drinking Traditional Medicine Mother's Milk Tea the weekend before I went to work. Now that I am at work I drink 3 cups of Mother's Milk Tea before work, and take Motherlove More Milk Special Blend during the day. Today is my 4th day back from work, I average about 15-18 oz milk in 3 pumping sessions.

I don't like oatmeal, so I can't speak from experience, but it is supposed to help your milk supply.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Well, there's no set amount to pump. It varies from mom to mom, and when you have a well-regulated supply, it's difficult to pump any extra (which is a good thing, really, but inconvienient).

You do know you do NOT need a huge stash to go back to work with, right? You really just need a day or two to use while you settle into a pumping routine or in case you spill or drop a bottle (that will happen), and then you pump the next day's milk at work the day before. Friday's milk is saved for Monday.

Don't forget to check for lipase before storing any milk.

So, to save up probably 12-20 oz for those first few days at work, try pumping in the morning, as most moms have the most milk in the morning. Pump while nursing one side. Pump after feedings, as that stimulates your supply to make more. It's not an easy thing, and you may have to pump regularly for several days to start getting enough.

You can also start eating oatmeal or take some herbs, such as fenugreek, to stimulate your supply.

make sure you have a good pump. A cheap pump from X-mart isn't going to be able to do the job. A professional grade pump (Lansinoh, AMeda, Medela, Hygiea) is what you want. ETA: and the r ight sized horns. And breast compressions.
    How do you test for the Lipase?
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamaDuMonte View Post
    How do you test for the Lipase?
    There is a great thread on it under the milk supply and storage

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...cessive-Lipase
    July 27 2011

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zorkycharlemagne View Post
    There is a great thread on it under the milk supply and storage

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...cessive-Lipase
    Thanks
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude