Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Cream" Amount

Default "Cream" Amount

Hello,

I have been an EPer from the beginning. Baby is 6 months old and still colicky. I have tried Dr Sears's elimination diet with no sucess. I am questioning whether my milk has enough fat in it. She is very small-only 13 1/2 lbs and is miserable most of the time. I set aside 65ml for 48 hours and 5ml seperated to the top. I was hoping some of you could share what amount of fat you get so maybe I can get an insight on if my theory is correct. I would appreciate any responses! Thanks!

Default Re: "Cream" Amount

I don't have an answer about the cream, but does your doctor say she's small? My daughter was 15 lbs at a year. 13.5 at 6 months sounds fine to me. The miserable would be my concern, but I'm not sure more cream would make her happier. Do you suspect a milk intolerance? How long have you bee eliminating?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Hi there

I posted something similar about a month or so ago. see link: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ilk...how-much

I too was concerned as a first time mum that my hindmilk or cream was not enough so I took a photo and posted it up to see if other mums milk looked the same.

My DD is 15 weeks old and weighs about 10 1/2 pounds and is small. I also thought that the quality of my milk was not good enough for her but was assured that this shouldn't be the case.

I don't have any advice I'm afraid but maybe some of the answers I got on my thread may help you/give you peace of mind?

I don't have an answer about the cream, but does your doctor say she's small? My daughter was 15 lbs at a year. 13.5 at 6 months sounds fine to me. The miserable would be my concern, but I'm not sure more cream would make her happier. Do you suspect a milk intolerance? How long have you bee eliminating?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Just took a look at what I have saved in the fridge for tomorrow and it looks about like what you have. Not sure if that's normal or not but at least it makes 2 of us!
    Heather

Mother of 2
    Aidan - 5 years -- breastfed for 4 months
    Avery - 5 months -- still breastfeeding -- 2nd time's the charm!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*heatherp580 View Post
    Just took a look at what I have saved in the fridge for tomorrow and it looks about like what you have. Not sure if that's normal or not but at least it makes 2 of us!
    It was normal for me...
    I am going to send you to this link to show you a lot more than you ever wanted or needed to know about milk composition and "cream". If you want to try and bulk it up (though I have no reason to think you would need to, like I said mine looked like that) you can try going for multiple letdown per pumping session (click your handy dandy "let down button" when the flow slows down if you have PISA) Also just pumping for a few extra minutes can help.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Check out the LLL thread. I don't have anything new to add.

FWIW, I had one baby who was a screamer. He still is and he's SEVEN. Might be personality. We moms are so quick to blame ourselves for stuff that might not be our fault.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Has reflux (or silent reflux) been ruled out?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

i read through this fast but generally you want to analyze poop to tell you if baby is getting a good balance of fore/hindmilk. if poops arent green and frothy i would not be concened about hindmilk.

since you do ep it may help to do more skin to skin or babywear

some babies do just cry more though. good luck

Thanks for all the responses. I avoided dairy for 6 wks and all others 1 1/2 wks. So difficult. I try to nurse her but she acts like a bucking bronco! I usually do when she's really upset. She pulls back, trying to tear my nipple off. I've tried after she's had a bottle, sometimes when she hasn't, before I pump and after. It's like her stomach is bothering her-gas is all I can think of. She has ultrasound on her belly tomorrow; I don't know if they'll find anything. Have tried reflux medicine. Thanks again!