Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to stop breastfeeding my toddler!

Default Re: I want to stop breastfeeding my todd

Oh mama. I just wanted to let you know I too, am so sorry for your loss. Words cannot decsribe what you must be going through right now.
    I'm just wondering if your daughter is picking up on the grief at home and maybe having a little bit of neediness because of that, and compounded with extra milk, thats why she is so needy to nurse. On the other hand, my son is 2, and if there was suddenly mooore milk he would be THRILLED! and too would take full advantage.
    I'm not trying to wean my son (yet) but I have noticed that if we go to the mall and he is playing with kids in the play zone he doesn't ask to nurse so much. Or if we are somewhere he thinks is super swesome to play, he doesnt ask as much. you get the picture.
    I know from experience that sometimes nursing a toddler is VERY draining. It can also be a lifesaver at times too.
    Hugs.
    Maybe getting out of the house will be good for both of you. Maybe you could start her in a mothers day out program? That might give you a much needed break from nursing at least for a few hours and get her out there playing with buddies too.

We are here for you.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

The sage idea may not be bad. Being consistent really helps. I had my 2 yr old afternoon weaned (nothing after nap until after bath) for a few weeks and then she got an owie and needed to nurse and then I quit really enforcing it because it was easier to just give in and now we're back to nursing every hour or so.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Sage and peppermint. Can't hurt, may help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Sage and peppermint. Can't hurt, may help.
    And orange juice, believe it or not.
    Mama Jen

Mom to:
    Happy Toddler, 19 months, still bfeeding
    Late Son, passed at age 8, bfed 5 months
    Daughter the Elder, age 19 yrs, bfed for 22 months

Earth Mama Angel Baby actually makes a No More Milk tea you could try. I learned the same thing after we lost a baby too; the grief one can feel is unbelieveable.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I am so sorry for your loss! And I'm sorry that something that was meant to be a blessing to everyone is becoming so much of a curse.

I think that respecting your own boundaries in this process is important for both you and your daughter. She's going to need to learn about respecting her own body and boundaries and needs and you're her best example. Please go easy on yourself. You are dealing with such a lot and have the right to your own needs and space. You have given amazingly to your daughter over the last 2 & 1/2 years.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted for me. Things are settling down. She is nursing more than I want her too, but not as much as she was when I first posted. I have been drinking sage tea (although I am not sure it is helping) and I have been working hard at being more consistent with the limits and distractions. Maybe we are on our way to self-weaning after all!!

Thanks again!!

I'm so sorry for your loss that has to be heart breaking for your family.