Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: AF supply dip

Default AF supply dip

I am on my second AF since having my 8 month old son. Both times there has been a supply dip. It's not horrible, and I believe he is getting enough, but I have had oald and moderate oversupply since the beginning. Dylan is a very sensitive child, and he gets frustrated actually having to wait for a let down. It leaves both of us in tears. Last month he even went on a short nursing strike he was so upset. I ended up having to pump till I letdown, then put him on. This is only a problem in the evenings and through the night (we co-sleep, for some reason with AF I have trouble letting down when he wakes to nurse)

What should I do? I am taking some herbal supplements (Motherlove) and a cal/ mag supplement (just started this today). I hate this. He doesn't take bottles and he wants to nurse, so getting milk out of the freezer wouldn't help. Nursing very frequently would normally help my supply, but in this case it makes it worse. It's like a little break from the stress helps us both. He doesn't take much solids, 1-2 small meals a day, but today I gave him a little more than usual. The stress of this is really upsetting me. Oh and last month like day 3 of AF my supply came back to the point of engorgement. It was painful, but at least my son was happy

Default Re: AF supply dip

Hi mama. Other than what you're already doing, you might try eating oatmeal, drinking plenty of fluids, and just resting as much as possible. Or, if you feel really stressed, maybe a take a walk or go out to a shop or something with your LO. The distraction may help him not think of nursing so much, and you might get a mental break. I think the oatmeal will help with the supply dip, you might also try beer since it has an added relaxing effect aside from supply increasing benefits of hops.

Did you do anything for the supply last month? Since you mention last time your supply came back to engorgement maybe its showing your system is fine and you shouldn't tinker too much with it? I know you're stressing with him getting impatient, but the supply dip is temporary and he may be picking up on your stress and reacting to it. You might also try calming nursing sessions down by going into a dark room, playing relaxing music (for YOU not necessarily baby), etc. I have a very impatient, distractable LO normally, so this is how we always nurse and it works very well for us. It seems like he's old enough to be able to roll with this temporary dip, just hang in there!
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I am sure it will be ok. Add how emotional I get with AF and it makes it worse! And you're right- my son is very sensitive and attuned to my emotions- he picks up on the slightest hint that I'm upset. We usually do nursing sessions side-lying in the bed (not because he's terribly distractible anymore, we started this because I used to spray really bad with OALD and the gravity helped. Now the kid will only nurse lying down. I've NIP in almost every park I know of! LOL)

I don't know if there's much you can do. Do you find it painful too? That's how I've known my period was coming. My nipples get so sore and I dread nursing.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn