Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lo drinking 1/2 as much

Default lo drinking 1/2 as much

jack (6.5 months) is now eating about half as much at daycare.

he will not take more than 2 oz in the morning, i nurse at lunch, and he takes 3 oz in the afternoon. ?!?! is this ok? his diaper output has dropped so i am concerned. he has about 5-6 wet cloth diapers a day now. some of them arent really wet, not sopping just that he peed.

he is eating some solids now but really not a lot since we are doing blw and he doesnt get too much in. i don't give any solids at daycare.

he does nurse when we get home2 times before bed and then nurses throughout the night while he sleeps, but he always did this.

Default Re: lo drinking 1/2 as much

Hmm, well does he have a very wet diaper in the morning? He may just want *you* mama, and not be interested in the bottle. Honestly, if I were you, I'd have daycare offer him solids and water in a sippy cup (along with the bm he is taking). Then when he is with you he gets his calories from nursing. And I would not worry about the quantity of solids. Totally normal for his age. My 8 month old still doesn't take much solid food....

i appreciate the support mama. i do suspect a bit of reverse cycling, but it seems he was always nursing a lot at night. just surprised that he was taking a lot of milk and now literally takes half as much.

i am going to keep him doing bm only, not water yet. i'm not comfortable with them doing the solids since we don't give purees, i'm just going to keep the solids for meals when he is with me.

just wondering if its ok that his diaper output has dropped... and he does have a very wet diaper after sleeping at night, but its not as wet as it used to be.

I guess I also forgot to ask, how many hours are you away from him? He needs about 1- 1.5 oz per hour. The wets are hard for me to gauge because we have 5-6 wets but use disposables, which obviously hold more. I don't think I'd worry though, because with reverse cycling he could easily be getting what he needs in a 24 hour period.

he is away from 9-5 with me nursing one time at lunch.

It sounds like he's getting plenty then, especially if he's getting a good feed in when you nurse at lunch. My son can go 4 hours between feedings (I don't let him, generally, but if we're out sometimes he'll refuse to nurse) quite easily. By this age they can wait a bit to nurse, and it seems like he's just waiting for you! If he was a newborn, it might be more of an issue, but by 6 months not as much....he won't starve himself