Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OALD or food sensitivity, opinions?

Default Re: OALD or food sensitivity, opinions?

My DD experienced green BM's, gass and watery, slimely seedless poops for a while at that age too, and I believe it was truly just OS/OALD. I started block feeding, and hand expressing only to comfort on the other breast in between feeds, and after a few days, it got a LOT better. She is also on Zantac for silet refux, and it does seem to help, but is highly weight sensitive, so it's dosing needs to be monitored and adjusted as baby gets bigger. I had issues with the choking, gaggins, sputtering, etc. very frequently in the beginning, and still do on occasion, but as DD's digestive system matures, and her stomach grows, it keeps getting better. I also try to feed her so that the milk has to go uphil, IE: lean way back so that the letdown isn't shooting milk to the back of her throat. I started worrying about food sensitivity, too, b/c DD had a little blood in her stools a few times, but I've found that bloody streaks can also be a symptom of OALD and OS, and they stopped also, around the time that the mucous and green stools went away. DD is 5 months actual now and things are calming down... still not ideal, but MUCH better than they were around 7 weeks... hang in there mama!!!
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

i feel better about the whole yeast thing since i met with an LC annd she also believes thats not it but that the pains are related to my supply and letdown.

I cut out oatmeal 3 days ago, wheat 2.5 days ago and gluten 2 days ago, as of yesterday morning his poop does not smell sour and I even noticed he smells better (his head/hair smelled oily from about 2 weeks old or so). I almost cried at the smell of his poop (I missed that smell and I knew the sour smell meant something wasnt right, no matter what the dr said). I am going to try gluten free oatmeal and we will see if that bothers him. his gas is still pretty bad, havnt notice a dif there yet- im hoping it will improve ofcourse. I really believe alot of the gas is from OALD. i figure if his BM already smell better, there is a good chance they will start to look better eventually, if not i will move on to cut something else out.

also, the zantac dosage is 0.8 ml 2x/day and was prescribed over phone when was about 3.5 weeks so they used the weight on record, around 8 lbs or so, from his 2 week and it has not changed, he is now 12lbs. his reflux def hurts him but is obvious most at night
    Last edited by @llli*alza84; September 24th, 2011 at 03:40 PM.