Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Comfort nursing

Default Comfort nursing

I thought of another question -- thank you all so much for all your helpful advice!

My son (1 month old) loves to comfort nurse, but I'm wondering if that will exacerbate my oversupply issues? Typically during the day we do an eat, play, eat, sleep routine. Since I am doing a one-breast-per-feeding to get my supply under control, he will feed on one breast for about 20 minutes. Then we do some play/activity time, then he gets swaddled up and comfort nurses for about 5-10 minutes before falling asleep for his nap.

I used to switch breasts for that, but now I'm going back to the same breast. I think it's good that he's getting some hind milk (he does do some swallowing even though his sucking is slower and pretty weak), but is this just creating more problems for me in terms of supply? I'm getting so sick of the constant leaking and engorgement, so I'm hoping my supply will regulate soon.

Default Re: Comfort nursing

Ha! That's so funny, my son is also 1 month old and we have exactly the same routine, and he also likes to comfort nurse. I also do the one breast per session thing -- I seem to have some overactive letdown issues.

For what it's worth, this is my first experience with this but so far I don't seem to be having any supply issues or engorgement.

In my experience when they comfort suck they are not actively "eating". They know how to suckle and just get a little or none My daughter LOVED to comfort suck and I never had an issue with oversupply. I did have OS issues with my son but I was eating oatmeal and drinking the mother's milk tea. I also only nurse on one side per "session".
    Mommy to
    Ava 9.24.08 self weaned at 2.5
    August 8.19.11 still nursing, trying to wean gently
    Abram 9.12.13

I cannot say for sure but my LO loves to confort nurse and I think it does contribute to an OS problem. Although he does not suck very hard I always have so much milk that it comes out anyway. He doesn't swallow it though- he just lets it drip out of his mouth onto his clothes and we both end up soaked. I only do one breast per session as well but I think the stimulation my breast gets during comfort sucking is still enough to get milk out and therefore contribute to my OS.

Just last night I woke up with my bra and pillow COMPLETELY soaked when he wasn't even nursing!
    July 27 2011

I think that as long as you use the same breast for the comfort nursing, you won't exacerbate your oversupply issue. Remember, comfort nursing isn't just about comfort. Babies often need a lot of little snacks in addition to their big "meals" so if your baby wants a nibble before going to sleep, he probably needs it.

If using one breast per feeding isn't taming your oversupply, you may need to do longer blocks, using the same breast for several feedings in a row.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

If using one breast per feeding isn't taming your oversupply, you may need to do longer blocks, using the same breast for several feedings in a row.
    I would really like to, but I can't handle the engorgement. Even just doing one breast per feeding leaves the other breast painfully engorged by the next feeding. I hope my supply regulates soon because this is miserable!

Ouch, you must have some pretty significant oversupply! If you can't do longer blocks due to the engorgement, the OS is probably bad enough that you want to try some additional measures, like drinking sage or peppermint tea, and using cold cabbage leaves in your bra (I know it seems a but ridiculous but a lot of moms swear by it!).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"