Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply, engorgement and foremilk

Default Oversupply, engorgement and foremilk

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on day 2 of a one-breast-per-feeding routine to try to combat an oversupply. The problem is that the breast that I don't feed on becomes very engorged, especially overnight when my son (1 month old) goes longer between feedings.

My question is... when it's time to feed on the engorged breast, isn't he getting a whole lot of foremilk that will fill him up before he can get an adequate amount of hindmilk? I do hand express a little out before feeding to soften up the nipple, but I don't want to do too much to make the problem worse.

I'm just asking because he was SUPER fussy last night and yesterday was my first day of one-breast-per-feeding. He nursed constantly from 8 p.m. to 9:45. I'm wondering if he is still getting too much foremilk, even though he's only eating off one breast at a time.

I hope that makes sense. I'm so stressed out about this.

Default Re: Oversupply, engorgement and foremilk

I also had OS and engorgement early on. How are his diapers since you've had baby nursing off of one breast? Green and frothy? Just green? Mustard yellow? You may know this already, but frothy green poop is a sign that he may be getting too much foremilk. Just green or yellowish poop is normal. How has his temperament been since last night?
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

His poops have always been yellow, but they are very numerous, watery and explosive. There is always at least a little something in each diaper, along with several large poops per day. He seems okay this morning, but he's always in a better mood in the morning than in the evenings. Last night he was cluster feeding, crying, clawing at my breast, etc. It is really discouraging.

Why do you think that you have an oversupply?

Fussiness in the evening is very common, even without an oversupply. Just keep feeding on demand and it will get better.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    Why do you think that you have an oversupply?
    I woke up Sunday night and my breasts were totally engorged (everything had been going fine up until that point). Nothing had changed in our feeding pattern except for the fact that I pumped for the first time on Sunday so my husband could give him a bottle. I pumped two hours after nursing (I used to do both breasts per feeding) and got 4 ounces. My husband gave him a bottle at his next feeding and he drank a little more than 3 ounces.

The other things that make me suspect an oversupply: my son (1 month old) has gained 2 pounds in two weeks, he is very gassy, he often chokes and drools milk out of his mouth (my shirt is usually always soaked by the end of a feeding), and he is frequently fussy/pulling on and off while nursing. In addition to the engorgement, my breasts are getting full very fast and I'm leaking every two hours like clockwork. All these things made me suspect oversupply, based on what I read online. No green poops though. What do you think?

That does sound like OALD/oversupply. This link has information. The goal with block feeding, where you feed off of the same breast for several feedings, is that you are ensuring that your LO gets the hindmilk off of that breast and the other breast gets the signal to produce less.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    That does sound like OALD/oversupply. This link has information. The goal with block feeding, where you feed off of the same breast for several feedings, is that you are ensuring that your LO gets the hindmilk off of that breast and the other breast gets the signal to produce less.
    And give it some time. It can take some weeks to really control a bad OS.

When you do switch sides when you are done with the block, yes, you can fill baby up on foremilk. What I used to do instead was take baby off partway through the feeding before I was planning to switch and let him finish on the side I'd be starting with the next time to start getting some of the foremilk off and so he wouldn't get a whole belly-ful of just foremilk at the feeding. And then I would encourage him to nurse very often too. Sometimes (well, often) I nursed every hour.

Pumping can worsen an OALD and OS, just so you know.

Don't forget that there are frequent growth spurts in the first few months. We typically expect them around 3 weeks, 6 weeks and then again at 3 months, but all of my babies have not read the book and had them at random times, so the fussiness could be related to that. Or not related to BFing at all. Sometimes, they are just crabby.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!